Monday, August 19, 2013

A Max-imum trading partner

One of the best and steadiest trading partners that I have been fortunate enough to deal with since I started this blog is Max, who writes the blog known as Starting Nine

Max always sends me great packages, whether it be part of a trade, or just something out of the blue (that's something I need to do more often...).  This package was no different.

I received my first Gypsy Queen insert, a dealing aces card featuring R.A. Dickey.


Anybody know if aces is a slang term for home runs now?  Because if it is, then this card is very appropriate, because R.A. has dealt 27 of them so far this year.  I was quite apprehensive about a knuckleballer coming to Toronto because past pitchers who threw that pitch for the Jays weren't very successful.  I'm hoping that R.A. will prove me wrong.

Max also sent me my first Topps Tribute card, of the home run machine himself, Jose Bautista


Although not quite as thick as Upper Deck's the Cup, these base cards are really nice and remind of the very high priced hockey product.  I'm hoping that Jose will become a winner in a Jays uniform like these two guys were...


I could go on and on about these two, as I have in the past, so I won't.

I don't believe I've ever seen any of the 2009 Topps Attax cards on any blogs, so I thought I'd show a couple that Max sent my way.


Every other Attax card I've seen or own is blue, so the red in these 2009's is a welcome change.   I like them!

Max is a hockey fan as well, and he always manages to include at least one Leafs card in a package.  Tom Fergus from the '91-92 Upper Deck set came my way.

I had forgotten that the Leafs had actually picked Tom up several years prior to this card in a trade with the Bruins.  One of my favorite players, Bill Derlago, wound up going to the Bruins.  The year that this card was released, Fergus was traded to the Vancouver Canucks for cash, to help afford the contracts of players such as Gilmour, Fuhr and Andreychuk as the Leafs revamped their roster.

Finally, another piece of the '64 Topps set came my way.

Just 44 more cards for me to reach the goal of 60% complete by the end of the year.  It may be the only goal I reach....

Max, as always, thank you for the cards.  Much appreciated!!  I hope you enjoy the return envelope...

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Nice Dickey. Wait, that didn't sound right...

    Seriously, those "Dealing Aces" inserts are awesome! One of GQ's few redeeming qualities.

    ReplyDelete