Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Blog Bat Around: What Have I Got Going On?

Spotted this on the Collective Mind blog yesterday, and thought that I could make a post about what I've got going on.

The truth is, it's a lot.  Well, maybe for me it's a lot.

Everybody knows that this is a home for anything Blue Jays or Maple Leafs related.  I've probably shown more cards for Toronto based teams than everything else combined. 




I really need to sit down soon and start getting my Toronto collections cleaned up.  I've been saying that for over a year now and writing this had made me realize just what a slacker I've been.  Need to get a plan together and soon.

I've never really announced it formally on the blog, but my chief focus is building sets.  I've decided to make a push to have a run of sets that includes the following:

  1. 1968-1986 Topps baseball
  2. 1971-72 through 1989-90 O-Pee-Chee hockey
Why these 2 runs you ask?  Simple.

1968-1986 Topps baseball represents the first 18 years of my life.  The formative years of my love for baseball.   Plus, I have to cut it off somewhere, and 1986 seems as good a place as any for me.

1971-72 through 1989-90 OPC hockey?  Well, I barely remember it, but my first hockey game in person was when I was just 4 years old.   I remember sitting in the Greys in the old Maple Leaf Gardens, watching the Leafs lose to the Canadiens that night.   I was hooked.

For the next 20 years, I did what every kid in Canada did.  I soaked up as much hockey as I could.  Those years of sets will represent a golden time of hockey in my eyes.  I can't wait to have them all.

Both of these projects are going to take a long time to finish (I have 3 of the baseball sets done and 2 of the hockey), but when I do finish them, I won't know what to do with myself. 


I've also got a couple of hockey projects going, including the serial numbered insanity set.  They've been pushed aside a bit lately, but I'm never afraid to accept any cards from these sets that come my way.

Player collections?  I've got a few of those as well.


Joe Sakic, Jim Thome, Ichiro, those are just 3 players I'm pursuing.  Mats Sundin, Felix Potvin, Andrew McCutchen and John Olerud are the others that I'm actively seeking cards for. 

The other blog that I was writing for my PCs has been on a bit of a hiatus while I clean up my collections and get this blog more active.  It will return....

OK...maybe that's enough for now.  My mind is spinning now that I read it all.

Thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. You and I have a lot in common. I'm trying to build the 1972 to 1986 Topps baseball run... plus I collect Sakic, Ichiro, and to a certain extent... Sundin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three of us are kindred collecting spirits...

      Except for the whole set collecting thing. Nooooo thanks.

      Delete
  2. I will eventually get sets from 1959 to now. At least all the Topps ones. Pretty much just need 61-3 and 65-68. May or may not fill in the other junk wax sets because of space.
    I'd love to start on vintage hockey too, but it's so hard to come by (cheaply) around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your starting points are two of my all-time favorite sets. Good luck with those very ambitions projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the SP Essentials #'d set and tried to get autographs on all of them. Recently got Brodeur on one!

    ReplyDelete