Sunday, February 7, 2016

My player collections have really begun to grow

Not only have I been knocking down the wantlists for the vintage sets I've been working on, I've been raiding both COMC and Sportlots trying to fill out my Lawrie, Thome and Sakic collections.  As you know with my past, I've being doing this as best as I can on the cheap.

Case in point, this 2014 Bowman Red Ice parallel of Brett Lawrie


I love how this looks in hand even more than how good it looks scanned.  It is just limited to 25 copies, and now one of them is off the market for just $3.25. 


Even cheaper was this 2014 Gypsy Queen black bordered mini, #29/199.  This came to me for just under a buck and a half. 

A lot of my Lawrie collection right now is parallels and variations, but hopefully as his career progresses I'll be able to grab more base cards.  Maybe being part of the White Sox will help that along.


2012-13 SP Authentic went all out featuring Joe Sakic; he appears on 6 cards in the base set alone.  Some of my favorite Sakic cards are ones that feature him in a Team Canada uniform, and add Mario Lemieux to the card and it's a real winner for me.  $1.38 brought both of these home.


A pair of Gold Medallion parallels from Fleer Ultra were also purchased.  I definitely prefer the one on the right, as most of the Gold Medallions over the years featured the full card's background in gold.  The 96-97 on the left looks as though Fleer got a little lazy and just added foil to the player and team names. 


Although the scan is kind of crappy, my favorite card from the recent Jim Thome binge on Sportlots is this 2001 Topps Heritage card.  The group of Sportlots cards that came my way extended from 1996-2004, and made me realize just how many sets were being pumped out from the card companies at that time.   Even though I've passed the 300 card mark for Thome, there is still a lot of base cards and parallels to gather to fill out this PC.

I've decided to start another blog (yeah, I know) dedicated to my 3 player PCs.  I've done well so far, 40 posts in and I'm still making sure that there's at least one card a day featuring a couple of lines about the card, or the player.  I've added a page for each player as well, making sort of a checklist for each card that is posted.  

If I'm lucky I'll even improve on the 1 follower that I already have...

thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. Nice pick-ups for your PC! Love the Red Ice parallels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple of the Bowman silver ice parallels, and they look absolutely fantastic, so I can't imagine how sweet those red ices must look in-person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have a Thome 2008 UD Heroes jersey if you're interested. What's your email?

    ReplyDelete