Friday, October 19, 2012

What I could buy for $100

Loved the post by the Night Owl the other day regarding the latest "cash grab" from Topps, the $99.99 Topps Heritage High Number set.  I can totally understand his criticism of the release.  A $100, 100 card release that promises one autograph is a little much to take, even with signers such as Darvish, Harper, etc.

What I'm skeptical of is only 1,000 sets being released.  How are we, the collectors, going to know that this is the case?  I didn't see any indication that sets are going to be serial numbered.  (Yes, I can be cynical)

Don't get me wrong here, I know that there are some out there who have already plunked their hard earned money down (Kaz, I hope you pull something really good!), and they are entitled to spend their collecting dollar how they see fit.  

I, however, am inclined to agree with Greg on this one.  I can't see myself plunking down a Benjamin on this set.   I like shiny new toys just as much as the next guy, but this endeavor just doesn't sit right with me.  Not that I had planned on finishing the '12 Heritage set anyhow....

If I read correctly, this set is going to ship November 3rd, so the month of November is going to be fun for me.

I'm actually going to use eBay for the month, and chronicle what the $100 is going to buy me.  Here are my 3 rules for what the purchases must achieve by the end of the month:

  1. Since Topps is guaranteeing an auto in the box, I will purchase one auto as well.
  2. I must finish the month with at least 101 cards (1 more than what the Heritage set provides)
  3. The purchases must fit in with my collecting goals (set completion, SNI, Jays/Leafs, PCs of Sakic,Thome)

 Who know, maybe I'll finally get around to starting a collection of this guy:



The 2012 Heritage card of Thome?  Yea, that was done on purpose...

thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. sometimes you wonder why you pay $100 on cards you may not want any of, or buy dozens on comc that you actually want for the same price. Let someone else spend $100, you just wait to pick the cards you want for cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea. If I had the discipline, I would try it right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone was willing to team break the Update set I would buy the Red Sox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could gauge interest, I'd pick up the set and do such a thing. I just wouldn't want to get stuck with 1/2 of a set I have no interest in.

      Delete
  4. I've done a similar thing the last couple of years using a $25 Ebay gift card. It was a lot of fun. Here's what I got with one:
    http://canthavetoomanycards.blogspot.com/2011/03/25-ebay-gift-card-got-me-recap.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember reading that series a while back. Was a great read for sure, I hope to come close...

      Delete