Thursday, February 3, 2022

7 8 9

No, this post isn't about the old kids joke of why is 6 afraid of 7, it's about a trio of cards I picked up on eBay last week that just happened to cost $7, $8 and $9.

For me, they were three pretty nice pick-ups for 3 sets that are in the pipeline.



For the '81 Topps football set, a $7 Kellen Winslow rookie card dropped into my cart really easy.  This was the 3rd of 3 cards that I found from the same seller.


As I had mentioned a few days ago, I have started to pick up some more '68 Topps cards for that set and finding the Lou Piniella here for $8 I thought was a good enough deal to continue this purchase.  This was the first of the 3 cards that I found and as normal, I scoured the sellers store to see what else they had.  The next card up kind of made this purchase a great one for me.


Some pretty good names checked off

I pretty much have resigned myself to buying any Mickey Mantle cards for vintage sets much further down the road.  That's just how it is here.  But when I saw this '69 Topps checklist featuring Mickey for just $9, well boxes checked or not it was coming home.  I showed the card to my wife, and she immediately remarked on the checked boxes, wondering who originally had this card and the others that were colored in.

I'll be sure to let everyone know if I find more Mantle cards for less than $10 in the future.

Still enjoying the hobby!

Robert


7 comments:

  1. I always kind of like checked checklists, but sometimes there annoying. They taunt me, with Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays being checked off, and me wishing for a time machine. Is that really too much to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piniella looks so different from the way I picture him in my head. He looks so thin and young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That checklist for less than $10? Yep I'd buy it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed your blog and thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  4. All nice pickups. I don't think I had ever seen Lou's RC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think over time I've become "semi-picky" about the checklists from vintage sets. When they're marked like this, I don't mind them. When they're blacked out and/or scribbled very wildly then I pass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kellen's rookie sure went up in price! It's hard for me to believe that there would be that much demand for his stuff at this point.

    ReplyDelete