Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Show Must Go On

Since the beginning of October, I've written 4 posts on this blog.  Yes, I've kept up with my other 3 line player collection blog, but it's just not the same.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that something happened at work; I've wanted to write about it on the blog since then, but haven't found the way, or the words to create the inspiration to write.

Then Queen's "The Show Must Go On" came on my iTunes this morning, and inspiration came to light.

I work in an office setting, and for any of you out there that work in the same kind of environment, you know that gossip usually is a big thing.

We had speculated ever since Hurricane Irma that our boss just wasn't the same.  Thoughts were that he might be taking another position in the company, or moving on to other employment.

The boss was away for a week in meetings at the end of September, and was expected back to work on the Monday after.

He never showed up.  His boss tried to locate him, but to no avail.  Our security department was called in.

Our boss was found dead.   Suicide.

There's 9 of us in our department, and not one of us had any idea he had these kind of thoughts.  Had I any idea, I surely would have reached out to talk to him.

He was 40.  Well established in the company and well thought of.  I wasn't close to him, but I liked the guy.  We had a good rapport.  I never believed for one moment that he would have been capable of this.

When it comes down to mental health, you just really never know. 

One card rule:  

2003-04 Topps - Own the Game #OTG19 - Wade Belak - Courtesy of COMC.com
2003-04 Topps - Own the Game #OTG19 - Wade Belak

I remember hearing about Wade Belak's suicide a few years ago.  (note: Belak's family believes his death was accidental, but the police ruled it suicide)

It surprised me to say the least, but it wasn't personal.   What happened with my boss was really personal, and gave me perspective on myself, as well as the others in my office.

This has taught that you truly never know what's going on in a person's mind.  But you can be there for them.

Sometimes listening is all you have to do.  Bell Canada's slogan during mental health awareness month rings more true to me now than ever.

#letstalk

Thanks for listening, Robert



10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this. Lots of cliche's come to the forefront here, but I think you summed it up pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sad to hear. I never thought much about people committing suicide (despite having thoughts of it as a teenager) until a good friend of mine did it a few years ago. It came out of the blue and nobody had any inkling how he thought or why he did it. Since then I try to notice the people I know if they aren't acting the same. I think the Let's Talk is a great slogan and a great way to open dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that. I have lost two cousins to it this summer. I can't imagine what it must feel like to feel that there's no tomorrow, and I hope I never do. I feel bad for them and their families, and wish I could do something to help people not feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...what a surprise and a tragedy. As you say, we never really know what's going on inside someone's head. Even someone we see on a daily basis. It's a good reminder to be kind and caring as much as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear. I can think of 2 suicides of former co-workers and, like you say, even though I wasn't close to either of them, it's still a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't imagine how tough that was. Very sorry to hear of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert, even though this clearly hasn't been easy for you, it was good of you to share this with everyone. Not only may it potentially help someone else in need by promoting the Let's Talk campaign, but it also let's all your blogging friends know what's been keeping you away. I hope you are able to find some peace of mind, and are able to start getting back to normal (or least close to) sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your boss. Suicide is such a sensitive subject, but it's one that needs to be discussed. Part of my curriculum is mental health awareness and I know the counselor at my site has several students who have contemplated suicide. And you're absolutely right... sometimes all somebody needs is another person to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mental health is such a huge issue in this country. You just never know what is going on in someone else's head. Like Jon said above you never know who is reading so if we continue to share stories maybe someone will open up and talk about issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad news. Hard to fathom the effect this has on a family.

    ReplyDelete