Monday, October 16, 2017

Speaking of card shows

Twenty bucks.  That's all I spent on Saturday. 

One table.  That's all I looked at on Saturday.

I quickly walked through the room at the monthly card show, and went to the one vendor on the stage.  That area usually has the biggest selection of cards in varying prices.

This month it was a different vendor, and he had what the normal vendor doesn't usually have.

Dime boxes.  Now I get the allure.  I found some great stuff in the boxes...

70+ cards towards my 2017 Heritage set.  Including 4 SPs!  Nearly 1/2 the set is complete now.  Still have over 80 SP's to go however...that's a little depressing.


4 cards for the goalie frankenset.


Some miscellaneous hockey and baseball dotted the 107 cards I pulled out of the boxes.


One of his other tables was several $1 boxes.  Discounted 12 for $10.  I didn't do too bad here either.


Knocked one card off the serial #'d hockey set.  Dallas now has 8 cards in the set thanks to this 2007-08 SP Authentic card of Chris Conner.  Didn't remember the name, still don't even after looking at his career stats.  Chris bounced around the NHL over 9 seasons playing 180 games for 5 teams.


A couple of big names from the '82 set are crossed off the list.


A trio of serial #'d cards, including a couple of Blue Jays.  I've thought about starting a small Ichiro collection, and this serial #'d card for less than a buck might just be the start.


One true vintage card, J.C. Martin from the '62 Topps set.  Haven't bought any cards from that set for quite a while, and this card has the Rookie Trophy on it for under a buck.  Just 11 more cards to hit 200 in hand for the '62 set.

A couple of hall of fame short stops from the early 80's were easy pickups as well.


A couple of my newer set projects both get a Nolan Ryan scratched off the want list. 

The 12th card I won't show as I'm going to send it off to a fellow trade partner. 

After this bounty for just $20, I feel a little excited and a little empty.  I did spend close to 2 hours at the show, but only at one table.   I'm used to hitting a few tables at each show, and even though I did well for myself, I felt a little cheated afterwards.

My time was limited though, as I promised friends that I would help them on Saturday.  I'm thinking about hitting the smaller West Palm Beach show this Sunday now; maybe I'll get lucky and find another dime box to pad my collection further.

thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. Nice haul! I wish I'd be so lucky as to find hockey cards in a dime box around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed when I find any kind of hockey cards down here in S. Florida. I guess it just shows that you have to go and see what you can find...

      Delete
  2. That 81T is one of my favorite Ozzie Smith cards. Great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be upset if the Padres brought back those unis full time

      Delete
  3. I see it coming. The Goalie train. Head-on collision imminent. Who will save me??

    ReplyDelete