Wednesday, September 11, 2013

More card show goodness

'75 Topps wasn't the only vintage set on my mind at the card show.  I still had a lot of unfinished business with a couple of earlier sets that I wanted to tackle.

I didn't grab as much as I would have liked from the '73 set, but I did manage to knock 16 cards from that want list.


It's more fun for me when I actually remember some of the names that I pick up.  Burt "Happy" Hooton is one example.  It's even more interesting because I only remembered Hooton as a Dodger.   Did you know that Burt's middle name is the last name of another great pitcher....Carlton.


Same thing here.  I have many memories of Ben Oglivie beating up on the Blue Jays as a member of the Milwaukee Brewers in the late 70's and into the 80's.  It's fun listening to Steve Blass on Pirates telecasts talking about the prodigious home runs that Bob Robertson used to hit.  It's good to finally put a face to the name that he's always mentioning.  And yes, the airbrushed "p" on Cesar Tovar is unfinished and a little crooked. 

When I hit my vintage table, the first thing the dealer did after we exchanged our hellos and how was your summers was reach for these 4 cards.


4 high numbers from the '64 set!  I don't have a whole lot of these yet, because they are very pricey.  But for $9, these 4 came home with me.  I had to make sure that was the same Rick Wise that I remembered pitching for the Indians in the late 70's, and sure enough it was.  That picture is him as an 18 year old rookie in '64.

These weren't the only 4 that I purchased from the '64 set on Saturday.  In total, 19 more cards found their way into my pile.


the checklist is marked up on both sides, but for a quarter, I figured why not.  I saw the name Marty Keough and wondered if he was Matt Keough's dad, sure enough my suspicion was correct.  Don't know who Matt Keough is?  Well Matt pitched for the A's in the late 70's and early 80's and didn't have the best of luck.  Matt finished 2-17 in 1979, and led the junior circuit in earned runs/home runs allowed in 1982.  On the flip side, Matt was part of the rotation in 1980 that didn't see one of their starters finish with an ERA over 4, and the oldest pitcher on the starting staff was just 28 (Rick Langford).


Is it just me, or does the Mets team card look as if the players are kind of sliding down hill from left to right?   With these 19 cards, I'm only 24 cards shy of hitting my goal of 60% complete by the end of the year. 

I didn't come home with as many cards as I had in the past, but as the checklists for my sets wind down, the prices go up.  There's always a trade off....

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment