Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sakic Sunday: Relics and the continuation of this pursuit

To be honest, I really do like the look of a lot of the UD products that they have released over the years.  They really did give collectors a solid second choice to Topps products for a long time.  But with the current scandal that is in the news, I really have to wonder if there is a future in the industry for Upper Deck. 

I'm sure that there a lot of people out there that will say "good riddance to bad rubbish", and I don't deny them that thought.  I can't see them continuing on as a licensed company to the NHL after the story I read about the Jeter jerseys.  (If you're not sure what I'm talking about...read this post from Voice of the Collector and find out).

This kind of stuff makes me wonder if any of the Sakic relic cards I own are authentic.


Me being the optimist, I want to believe that these cards are legit, but there is that nagging doubt now that makes me shake my head.  While Joe Sakic cards aren't in the stratosphere of a Gretzky or a Lemieux in terms of price, they are by no means lower tier in terms of cost.  For me to continue to chase a Joe Sakic relic card with this cloud over relic cards is kind of tough.

How about people who have bought packs of Upper Deck's The Cup over the past few years?


While I have never personally bought a pack of their super premium product, nor do I own a relic card of Joe Sakic (or any player for that matter) from The Cup, if you own any of this product, does it make you wonder now as well? 

I know I'm a little focused on this subject lately, but I feel it's for good reason.  In the hockey world, Upper Deck has been a major player for the past several years, and the legitimacy of their relic cards has been called into question. I'm sure that I will think about this a lot more, and wait to see if Upper Deck does release some kind of statement regarding this allegation.  I hope they do, but it's gotta be tough to put a positive spin on this situation.

To be truly honest, I really do want more Joe Sakic relics.  Relics aren't dead to me...

Not yet anyways....

Thanks for reading, Robert


4 comments:

  1. My LCS has another Sakic relic, email me if you are interested and I will try and find out the details and how cheap I can land it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, let me know what you can do. I'm sure I'll be interested if the price is right.

      Delete
  2. I got a ticket stub I went to, Sakic's last game in 2009. Avs vs. Blues and an Avs game program from that game if you are interested in a trade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Joe...send me an email when you get a chance at rmitchell6700 at yahoo with the details...thanks

      Delete