Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's not too often you get a Toy Cannon out of a pack of cards

I went on a little bit of a buying spree yesterday.  I hadn't bought anything in a couple of weeks, so I snagged a couple of blasters of GQ, and while looking for some inspiration, finally decided on 4 rack packs of Archives.  Now I know what you're thinking, and you're right.  I did say a few days back that I was passing on this product.

That still holds true, I will not be putting together the set.  But it doesn't hurt to pick up a few packs here and there to get some trade ammo ready just in case.  The first three rack packs weren't much to shout about.  I pulled a 2nd RC reprint, this time it was Reggie Jackson.


I also pulled a cloth sticker of Giancarlo Stanton (that just doesn't flow off of the tongue like Mike Stanton did...not yet anyway)

I crack the 4th and final pack, and my luck changes for the better!  It's always great pulling an autograph of a retired player, and this one was no different.


What a marvelous graph!  Jim Wynn, also known as the Toy Cannon, has an amazingly legible signature, and it looks great on this '73 Topps replica card.  I wondered how he got the nickname "Toy Cannon", and it turns out that his bat had quite a bit of pop (291 career HR's), while being only 5'8".  Jim also has the honor of having his number (24) retired by the Houston Astros.

I was overdue for a good pull from a pack, and this definitely qualifies.

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic pull, Robert! "The Toy Cannon" has always been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice card of the '74 N.L. Comeback Player of the Year, a.k.a. Dodger left-fielder.

    I'm way overdue for a good pull.

    ReplyDelete