Saturday, March 28, 2015

Reports of my disappearance--well they're pretty much true

One post in the past 3 weeks?  Definitely not what I wanted for the month of March.  I had scanned a bunch of '59 Topps cards in the hopes of writing a little while I was away on my 10 day vacation.

Didn't happen.

The past week that I've been home so far churned out a solitary post.  I spent most of the week in the process of buying a new vehicle, something that has been a long time coming for me since the old one I traded in was bought new in 2005.  That chore was finished today. 

Now, I look at the piles on my desk that haven't been touched since the beginning of March.  They now include several new envelopes which a few bloggers (some of them very patient) have sent my way. 

In order to wean myself back into the posting routine, I decided to focus on parts of two of the envelopes that arrived.

First up, fellow Blue Jays blogger Richard from the Toronto Blue Jays Collection blog sent me a few Brett Lawrie cards to add to my newest PC.


The two Bowman cards were on the top 10 most wanted list, so it was cool to knock multiple cards off of that list for the first time.  The Lawrie PC is still quite new, and only consists of 16 cards, so anything that knocks cards off the want list like this is greatly appreciated, thank you Richard!!

Next up is a half dozen cards from a great trading partner, Tony from the Off Hiatus Baseball Cards blog.  His envelope started with a twitter question asking if I needed a '72 Yastrzemski that was off condition.   I said sure, and sure enough a big package made it my way...


As you can see, there's a nice crease that runs from one side of the Yaz card to the other, right through his hat.  No matter, I had no qualms about adding it to the collection.  The '75 Aaron was a surprise, I'll have to check and see if that is an upgrade for the one that I already have in the set.  Rounding out the vintage trio is the '59 Topps card of Don Bessent.  Guys have been great at sending me cards for that set, and the Bessent is now the 200th card that I own! 

Tony also was generous enough to knock off 3 more cards from the SNI set (remember that project kids?)


Seeing the pair of 2008 Topps Opening Day parallels made me wonder if I had any others in the set so far.  The answer is yes, the Sabathia and Lowell cards actually doubled the '08 Opening Day count to 4.  The Jackie Bradley Jr. card, combined with the Lowell, finished the Red Sox portion of the insanity.   They become the 11th team off the list.  The Indians are now at 48 out of 50.

Overall, SNI stands at 1378 out of the 1500 cards needed for completion. 

There were also a few dozen Blue Jays cards in Tony's envelope, which I have yet to go through.  Needless to say, thank you very much for the cards Tony!!

Hopefully now that my "crazy" month of March (not as crazy as others as I've been made aware..) is just about over, it's time to get back to posting, and sorting, and collecting again.

It's been 3 weeks since I've even bought a card.   Nothing on eBay, COMC, no packs from any of the big box stores.   Nothing at all.  It's as if I went cold turkey trying to beat an addiction.   That may last one more week until the monthly card show the first weekend of April. 

Yes, you could say that I disappeared from the blogosphere for the past 3 weeks.   It's time to get back into the swing of things....

thanks for reading, Robert

6 comments:

  1. Eh, you've never gone anywhere, Robert. Just biding your time before the big reveal!

    Take your time and the rest of us will be here when you get back from selling and purchasing vehicles, or whatever else you're up to!

    Collect cards! Never forget! ; )

    BTW, Lawrie looking like a boss, as is Yastr..., as is Bradley Jr.

    Go, Robert, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all go through blogging dark periods. Glad to see you back in the blogroll, Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 9-year-old in me is forever stunned that people have '75 Hank Aarons just sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My extra Aaron came from buying a team set and the individual card and forgetting I had the first already in my possession. Thus, my mistake turned to Robert's benefit.

      I'm glad you got the package, Robert -- enjoy all those cards and welcome back!

      Delete
  4. Hope your vacation was a restful one! Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. welcome back. Hope your vacation was fun and restful.

    ReplyDelete