Thursday, September 20, 2012

I notice the stupidest things sometimes

First off before I get into writing this post, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented on my post last night.  The overwhelming support for what I wrote was unexpected to say the least, and very much appreciated on this end. Also, just a quick note to say thank you to Nick as well, I'm glad you enjoyed what I wrote.

OK, now down to business.

It's gotten to the point again where I've sent so many envelopes recently that there are instances where I've actually forgotten what I've sent to certain people.  Case in point, I received in the mail today a very generous envelope from Josh at the Royals and Randoms blog, and for the life of me I cannot remember what I sent him (I'll take a shot it had Royals cards in it....).

Josh sent me some insanity help (yes, that's still going), and a heaping pile of Blue Jays to show off.  I leafed through the cards a couple of times (leafed....NHL....subconscious...sad...) and noticed that quite a few cards had a common theme that I never really noticed before on many cards.

Uniform numbers.


I found 5 examples alone in this package with Carlos Delgado's uniform number placed on the front of the card.

Let's start with a couple of 2003 releases.


Interesting how both shots have Carlos pictured right at the point of contact with the ball.   I like the UD release on the right; I believe that the uniform number actually complements the player's name on the card, unlike the Playoff release on the left, where the uniform number kind of sticks out like a sore thumb (for lack of a better description). 





Exhibit 2:  Fleer Patchworks.  Fleer actually doesn't make the uniform number stand out on this card, it really blends in well with the team name at the top of the card.  It really doesn't need to be there though in my opinion.


This card is actually a salute to the number 25.  If you look close enough, it's a helluva list of players who are wearing 25 at the time.  Palmeiro, Giambi, Thome, Delgado, Glaus, Dmitri Young, Andruw Jones, and some guy named Bonds.  In this case, a good job by Upper Deck.


The Authentix cards were kind of subtle in getting the uniform number of the player on the card, using the seat number.   A little investigating also showed me that the Section number was actually Carlos' batting average from the year before, and the row may or may not have been the number of years that Carlos had been with the Jays (he had played 10 seasons in the bigs, but I'm not positive what the 10 may have stood for).

In some cases, the uniform number works.  In other cases, well it's leaves a little something to be desired. 

I don't know what made the uniform numbers jump out at me like they did in this lot, but like I said, I notice stupid things sometimes.

Josh, thank you for the cards, a great lot indeed!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Post-back! :-)
    http://royalsandrandoms.blogspot.com/2012/09/3-cards-week-habit.html

    ReplyDelete