Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Saturday wasn't a total write off


Even though I took the day off of posting on Saturday, I didn't take the day off with respect to dealing with my collection.  I decided to take the time and put the '64 Topps cards that I do own into binder pages.  Even though I barely own a quarter of the set, there were some pages that had 6 of the 9 cards. 

If I do say so myself, even though the pages below aren't full (yet), I still think they look great!  The league leader cards featuring Aaron and Killebrew make a great start to this page. 


Poor scanning..Kirkland and O'Dell are in better shape than the scan shows.

The 4th page is scanned below, cards #28-36.  A lot of solid pitchers on this page...Osteen, Perranoski, Jim Perry and Dean Chance.  If you're not sure who Dean Chance is, take a look at his '64 stats and you'll see one of the greatest pitching seasons for a team that barely finished .500 on the season. 

Sammy Ellis had a pretty decent rookie season in 64, finishing 15th in MVP voting.  Sammy's "career year" was in '65, when he won 22 games for the Reds with 15 complete games, and 2 saves. 




The whole point of this post is to show what the cards look like in pages.  Great!!  As I was placing the cards in the pages, I marveled at how great they looked.  All along I've been pretty sure that I was going to complete this set as a long term project.  Now that I've placed them in pages, I'm even more sure that I'll work this set to completion, even with the big price tag on some of the key cards.

These pages will look even better with cards of Clemente, Rose and Koufax in them.  I'll be sure to show them off when I do get them.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. nice job and interesting because i had a similar idea.

    it's a cool coincidence that i'm going to start showing my stuff through binder pages as well.

    ReplyDelete