Saturday, August 14, 2021

Patience pays off

I've been digging away at a lot of different want lists lately.  '59 Topps, the run of Allen & Ginter sets and so on.  I have even made a nice start on the '79 and '81 Topps football sets, knocking out almost 25% of each in the past few months.

But '86 Topps football has largely gone to the wayside, largely because the set is almost done.  Some of the cards are in COMC purgatory, which is fine as it appears that the site is making strides in getting caught up with shipments.

The big piece that I've been looking to purchase as cheaply as possible is the Jerry Rice rookie card.  I kind of relegated myself to paying at least $75 or more as that's all I've seen on eBay for the past few months.   Then this copy showed up:



You can see instantly in the corners that a lot of the green has "disappeared" for the lack of a better word.   But I took a long look at the card, decided that this set was being collected because I loved the look of it and not for the investment and pulled the trigger on the purchase.

The big reason why?   It was only $25.

I'd been looking somewhat actively for the past 2+ months for this card.   Then this one drops in my lap.  Credit to the seller for being what I say is spot on with the price considering the condition.  

Patience has paid off for me many times.  I'm hoping that it continues as I work towards finishing some other sets.

Enjoy the hobby!!

Robert

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Took quite a while to find one in my price range. Patience was the key for me.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on landing such an iconic card and taking one step closer to completing your 1986 Topps set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The '86 set has blown by so quickly, it's hard to believe. Thank you Fuji!

      Delete
  3. Wow, $75 seems like a lot for a mid-1980s card, even for a superstar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, that's why I kept looking. I was in the $40-$50 frame of mind, but $25 made the decision a whole lot easier

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking that a lot of people probably would've bought this one had they seen it.

    ReplyDelete