Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sorry, but I don't have the money for a $10K project

First off, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that jumped on last night and commented on the "spring cleaning".  I've spoken with a few of you via email, and the rest I've replied to your comment directly on the post.  (Jeff, I still have to email you yet...)  It looks as if Saturday should be quite the mail day.

I really haven't done a lot of reading this week as far as blogs go, so I'm a little out of tune with what's happening.  I have seen a little bit of the hub bub as far as the Topps 5 star club goes.  I think I'm going to remain about as neutral as Switzerland as far as this one goes.

I compare the 5 star club to a black credit card, something for the uber rich that comes with special little perks.  Not sure if I agree with Topps placing the caveat that a member cannot speak ill of the company.  Kind of goes against the grain of everything that is America, no?

I decided to have a little fun with the $10,000 requirement.  What would I have to do to spend $10,000?

Well let's see.  If I go strictly by the title of my blog, $30 a week, it would take me 333.3 weeks, or 6.4 years to spend $10,000.  I don't think that fits in with the $10,000/yr requirement. 

Let's see what else I would have to buy in order to meet the $10K level.

1.  833 Joe Sakic RCs

Storage, yea that might be a problem.  I'm sure that there are plenty out there to go around though.

2.  2.5 complete sets of 1964 Topps baseball


Finding all those cards in NM condition twice would be painful.

3.   33.3 complete sets of OPC 76-77 hockey.


How many of these do you think I can find for $5 apiece?

Naturally, I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point by now.  Sure, Topps means $10,000/yr of new product, and if I attempted to pull that off, there would be only one word that word appear on this blog next.

Divorce. 

Done that once, don't want to go there again.  

Sorry Topps.  Maybe there's a club out there for one star members like me?  Maybe if you move the decimal point two places to the left and make it $100.00

Oh wait, I ripped on them about that already.....nevermind....

Thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. If they made it $100 - you could just buy that Heritage Hi number set and be good to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the first I've heard of this Topps 5 star deal. I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to new stuff. If it doesn't show up on the shelf at Target it may as well not exists. I wonder if my local Target manager will sign off on me buying 10K worth of product this year. Not exact figure, but it's ballpark, give or take $9,900 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gawd - the backbone of Topps are the people who have purchased the cards (like the 1977 hockey - love it) throught the years ... not the 10 year old kids buying Yu-Gi-Ho cards.

    If I had $3.00 I'd spend it on those NHL HOFers, not the new dish rag crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't do divorce. It will cost you way more than $10,000. But at least you are allowed to talk ill of the other.

    ReplyDelete