Saturday, April 14, 2012

Your eyes play tricks on you when you get older

It's true.  I've been wearing glasses for about 10 years now, and my eyes still read what they want to read.  The fact that my mind is always in the gutter only makes that problem worse, especially at work, but that's another topic for another place and time.

I tend to read fast, which is probably part of the problem.  Case in point, a post about a 'trade' that Potch and I completed in the past week, which was titled Cool Cards from Mr. Habit (update).  Needless to say, my eyes did their tricks, and I thought the word 'Habit' said 'Hobbit'.

Now my curiosity is piqued!!  What in the world is Potch writing about that contains a hobbit?  Tolkien's book maybe?  As I read the post I of course recognize that it's a trade post about the cards that I had sent him.  Needless to say I went back and read the title again and of course I feel like an idiot when I see the word habit in the title. 

Wait a minute....Mr. Habit?  When did formality creep into the blogosphere?  Does that make my wife Mrs. Habit?  Does it mean that all my bad habits are related to me in some weird way?  OK....enough of the habit talk, let's get to more of what you're here for, the cards!

First, of course we have to show off the Jays...let's look at some Minis

The scan is actually larger than the card

These 87 Fleer minis are very cool, but the writing on the back is so small that I had to use a magnifier to read the stats. 

Next we have some more modern Jays cards:


The more I see this years Heritage, the more it grows on me, but I'm sticking to my vow that I will not complete the set.  With 75 SPs, it's just too damn difficult.  I still have about 50 to obtain from last years set, which is a large reason that I will not collect the '12 set as well.  Speaking of last year's Heritage, the Aaron Hill black parallel is the 2nd one that I have (Arencibia being the other), and I like the lack of chrome on the card.

Next, a couple of random Jays cards...


The Fleer Award Winner card of Tony Fernandez is part of a 44 card set from '87.  I hadn't seen these before as well, so that was interesting to me.  The Scott Rolen '08 UD Heroes card baffles me.  The card documents the world series title he won in 2006.  I think to myself, the Jays didn't win the title in '06, so I read the back and it documents the title he won with the Cardinals.  What??  If I'm a Jays fan, why do I want to read about that?  Give me Jays facts!  OK...rant over.

Finally, what would a trade post from Potch be for me without some '77 Topps??


3 more towards the set, 3 guys that I remember fondly from the 70's and 80's.  Sparkly Lyle, born in Dubois, PA which is about 90 minutes from where I live right now (that was cool to find out).  Larry Parrish was part of those great Expos teams of the late 70's and early 80's that had Dawson, Carter, Rogers and Raines.  Rollie Fingers' card features him after he signed a 6 year, 1.6 million dollar contract with the Padres as a free agent.  Do you think the 'stache is airbrushed too?

Potch, as always, thank you for the cards, they are much appreciated!!

Oh, and one last thing....bad habits??...I've got nun...(insert groan here)

thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment