Sunday, September 27, 2015

Is it worth it

Right now, with my collection separated by 1250 miles of highway, I've kind of come to a point where I want to start something new, because a lot of the older stuff that I've been working on isn't accessible.

That's where 2015 A&G comes in.  With the limited selection of cards at the big box stores (limited in my eyes), it's the only set that I feel like buying packs of.  When you only get 6 cards in a pack for $3, and one of them is a mini (which I have no use for), a 350 card set can be a tough nut to crack.

So in the end, the question for me becomes, is it worth it to try and put together this set, or do I rely on purchasing cards online/waiting for shows for other projects that I've been working on.  Maybe talking it out through some scans will help....


I have 12 minis so far, 5 of them A&G backs.  Weren't these supposed to be difficult to obtain, or am I just really lucky so far?


I have no idea why the Allen & Ginter "logo" is different colors on different cards.  Does that mean anything?
I'm sure that the Black bordered Strasburg, and some of the other minis up above probably would look better in some other person's collection(s).  I do have my address file with me, so if you're interested in any of these, just let me know.  It's also weird that the only Blue Jay A&G card that I have so far, is of a guy who isn't even a Blue Jay anymore.


As a set collector, the one thing that I really like about A&G is its consistency.  350 cards every year.  Cards 301-350 are SPs.  Pictured above are the 7 SPs that I've already pulled (I do have a dupe of Escobar if anyone is looking for that card for their set/collection).  I know what to expect when I start on an A&G set building journey.

While writing this I'm thinking to myself that if I do take on the task of collecting this set, it's going to take a while.   I currently have just 51 of the 350 cards, and unless I break down and pick up a hobby box ($85.95 at Dave & Adam's...) I'm going to have to rely on packs not drying up at the big box stores in the area.

It appears that I have a lot more to think about.

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I DO have a use for the minis (frankenset!). So any that don't get elsewhere, I'll take.

    Yeah, the 6-cards-for-$3 bucks thing doesn't work for me. I have to buy rack packs of A&G or blasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it....my goal this week is to pick up some bubble mailers on the cheap so I can start getting get packages out to people from down here.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if this helps your decision, but the full-size cards numbered 301 through 350 aren't short printed this year (though the minis of the same numbers are). In the past those SPs have always been the bane of my existence. With that being said, I have a literal TON of dupes I would be more than happy to share with you should you decide to go for it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't go after sets too much because I have to many cards I want for my Pirates and WVU collections. With that being said a mini set would look nice. No wrong decisions with cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A&G has never been a fave of mine. I want players or baseball themed cards when I hand over $$$. Good luck with your set! :)

    ReplyDelete