Thursday, October 30, 2014

A little project makes me realize how lucky I've been

You may or may not have noticed that I've added a couple of pages on the right hand side of the blog.   One of those pages (Just the hits--Blue Jays) is a little project I started to try and get all of my Blue Jays relics and autos scanned to show off to everyone.   A by-product of this task is that I'll finally have all those goodies in one place, largely because of my wont to "unclutter" my collection.

I've scanned in 21 up until now, and I have them listed chronologically from most recent to the oldest.


More often than not, these cards that I have scanned in, or will be scanning in the near future, are the product of trades/generosity of the sports card blogosphere.


Bloggers may have pulled these cards from packs.  They may have bought them as part of a larger lot, or snagged them at a card show for peanuts.


Looking at the large stack of cards still to scan and display makes me realize that there are a lot of people out there that see cards like this and think to themselves that there is someone out there that might enjoy them.

Now I may not remember who sent me what card, but I do have a pretty good idea of the people that have been good to me in the past.   Those are the people that help make this hobby what it is.

Fun.

It's fun talking to people you might not otherwise know, those who share the bond of enjoying pictures on cardboard.  While I may never get the chance to meet anyone out there in the blogosphere (although I do hope that one day I will), the knowledge that there are guys out there who see cards like this and say to themselves "I wonder if Robert needs that" is incredible. 

With the dead zone of the next 4 months that is the baseball off season upon us, there is a lot of extra time to scour want lists and see what kind of trades can be made.  Extra time to continue the 2nd job that is cleaning up my collection.  Hashing out that one trade could make someone else's day, just like a lot of the trades that I've completed in the past have made mine. 

That reminds me, I have to add a couple of more people to the fun list....

thanks for reading, Robert

9 comments:

  1. Great post! I always think of you when I come across a new Jays card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Go for it, I've copied things off of so many bloggers in the past, so someone taking something off of my blog would be a refreshing change....LOL

      Delete
  3. When I came back to the hobby 5 years ago I didn't have a Cubs "hit" in my collection. Now I have enough to possibly show off just like you. Thanks for the idea.

    BTW, the blogosphere is awesome. I think 95% of mine came from from trades as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've filled up several binders just in trades. I often look at cards and can tie them back to another blogger. Just like the cards you got for me at the National.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im kinda the same way about my Cubs cards, but i dont get too many from traders... too many other Cubs fans out there seem to be ahead of me in terms of getting the Cubs from collectors.. i still have a stack of Jays left though if you ever have any interest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the cards for trade page on the right hand side. There's a few Cubs there Jeremy, see if there's anything you're interested in, and we can go from there if you want...

      Delete
  6. Great cards ! And even though I get some off comc or ebay or in lots, I love just receiving packages of utter kindness from my fellow bloggers. And I already have a stack for you, I need to check whether you have them or not !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never bought an auto or relic but I too have quite a few thru trades

    ReplyDelete