Friday, May 30, 2014

Week in review: 2nd play in match winner

The battle of the early 70's titans has been decided.   I thought I might see a few more votes than I did (something I blame on the poll widget being NFG), but the winner by a 9-5 vote is:

The psychedelic set from '72 moves on to the round of 16, which I will start tomorrow. 

I received another solid bubble mailer from JT Steele the other day, with a bunch more Blue Jays goodness, including these two Robbie Alomar cards:


Now when I quickly breezed through the envelope the other day, I originally thought that the same card was in the package twice.  Now, I probably have a few copies of the base Fleer '92 you see on the right, but I'm 100% positive that I've never seen or heard about the card on the left.

When I looked at the card closer, I noticed on the bottom "The Performer Collection", and the back the card is #'d 24 of 24.  I don't think that this was an insert in that years set, so I'm wondering if anyone out there can provide a  bit of info on the card?   Comments are more than welcome....

thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. According to the Standard Catalog, The Performer Collection was a 7-11 promotion where customers received a pack of 5 cards with a gasoline purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a collection from 1992, at Citgo stations.. I have probably a dozen or more of each player.. not entirely uncommon, but a lesser known for player and/or team collectors.. i still have a few more Jays for you i will send your way in time.. Hope they help your collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I thought I'd already voted here, but I guess not. I must have commented in my mind. Went something like this: "174926 Bonus points for posting that Larry Hisle card, one of my all-time favorites. My vote is for '72. Obviously both great sets, but the psychedelic tombstones are unbeatable."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wait, this isn't the voting post, is it? That might explain it...

      Delete