Saturday, May 3, 2014

2 more '64s added

Been a busy week here.  Between an up and down work schedule and doing a bit of spring cleaning around the house, the blog has taken a back seat.  However, I received an eBay purchase this week that knocked off two more of the high numbers that I needed for the '64T set.

Both of them are in really nice condition.  I was especially pleased with the Bennie Daniels, which is the final card in the set, #587.


I hadn't heard of either of these players before, so a little investigating was in order.

Leon Wagner had a decent 12 year career in the bigs, between 1958 and 1969.  1964 was one of his best seasons, playing in 163(!) games, hitting 31 HR and driving in 100.  Interesting that he was traded after the 1960 season by the Cardinals to Toronto (in the old international league), and then traded again by Toronto to the Angels at the start of the 1961 season.  I can't remember seeing a trade between a MLB club and a minor league club occur in my lifetime, which made this little tidbit even more interesting to me. 

Daniels didn't have quite the career that Wagner did, playing in 9 seasons with the Pirates and the Senators between 1957-1965.  Daniels was a swing man for most of his career, starting and relieving for both clubs.   He had only one season with double digit wins, 12 in 1961.  Bennie finished his career with 45 wins and an ERA of 4.44.

These two cards give me a total of 440 in the house for the set, or 75% complete.  I've got my eye on a Hank Aaron auction right now, and if I'm lucky enough to win it that will give me one of the few big pieces that I still need to finish the set.

Here's hoping!

thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment