Sunday, July 14, 2019

Monthly card show: Bits and pieces

Even though money is a bit tight right now, my better half convinced me to hit the monthly card show yesterday.  She knows how much I like getting out and sifting through boxes of cards looking for cards to complete my sets, and then regaling her with the tales of conversations struck at the tables.

So, here goes the bits and pieces portion of the show, everything that only has a handful of cards or less .

First up, 83 Topps:






































Just 4 cards to show here, nothing spectacular for sure.  Had a hard time wrapping my head around the Brian Giles card, I kept on thinking when I looked at the back of the card that it was the Brian Giles circa 1990's-2000's that played for the Indians and Pirates.   Damn same names...



Knocking 3 cards off of the '76 short list was nice.   The Kirby and Lopes RB cards were a dime each, while the Winfield I pulled out of a stack of 3/$5 cards.   Just 44 more to go to finish this set off, I'm still looking to take care of it before the end of 2019.





Finding '69s in a dime box, even though very few, was still an exciting thing for me to see.  The Queen and Johnson were the two that I found, while the Carty was in the same 3/$5 stack as the '76 Winfield.  Still a really long way to go to finish '69T, but there's still no hurry here.





Just as exciting as finding the '69s was finding these 5 '68s. Nothing fabulous condition wise, but there's no pen markings or crazy scratches. Just a few experienced cards that look like they're over 50 years old.

Had a lot of fun hitting two tables and spending just $20 yesterday.   I still have a lot more to show off, and I plan on breaking that up into a couple more posts.

Gotta go now, trying to add a twitter screenshot to this post totally drove me (and this post) crazy.

Thanks for reading!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. That Lopes is really cool. I was curious to see how long he held onto that record. Looks like Vince Coleman broke it back in 1989 with 50 consecutive. He still holds that record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who grew up watching baseball in the '80s, that Brian Giles was THE Brian Giles. It took the other one a long career (and also playing in my town) to shake that he was a Brian Giles "imposter."

    ReplyDelete