Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Many, many sets on the go

I love building sets, and this mission I have to put Topps sets from 1968 to 1986 together has sometimes left me a bit frazzled, but honestly I believe I'm more focused as well.  Having want lists put together has really helped, and being able to take cards off the want lists is a great feeling of accomplishment.  I'm sure many of you have felt the same when you start removing those numbers off of your blog page/spreadsheet/whatever device you use to keep track of your collection.

Keeping the little run of posts I have going today by showing off a handful of 1974 Topps cards.



I find it hard to describe how I feel, or what I think of the '74 set.  Poor man's '73 Topps?  It's an OK design, I don't despise it at all, but for some reason it just doesn't wow me.

As far as 70's sets go, it's probably middle of the pack, maybe just below '78 Topps in the middle of the scale.   Until writing this, I never really thought about how I would rank the Topps sets between 70-79.  Maybe I'll write more about that another day.

One wrong I definitely have to correct is getting this want list on the TCDB.  For some reason, I've never entered this set on the site, and when I went to enter the cards the other day (habit), I only had 5 entered for '74 Topps.   Maybe tomorrow on the nation's birthday I'll fix that.

I have 131 cards remaining on the want list for the '74 set, highly unlikely I'll finish it in 2019, but you never know.

Small Blog Milestone:   Today's post is #1800.   Should have happened two months ago....oh well.

Thanks for reading!

Robert

4 comments:

  1. I might have a few of these for you. I know I have a bunch the back end of your '78 wants. I got peeps coming in for the weekend, but I'll try to check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a big box of 1974s in hopes of getting a real head start on collecting it. Turns out I got many, many multiples of a small subset of the thing. Let me look and see if I can knock off any of the wantlist you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call 1,800 posts a small milestone. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I've never been a huge fan of the 74T design... I still love the set. The All-Star, Hank Aaron, and league leader subset cards are awesome. And the set features some of the coolest action shots from the 70's. I also love the playoff subset too, but as an A's fan... I'm a little biased.

    ReplyDelete