Thursday, June 13, 2019

and then there were three

The past 2 months have been quite interesting for me as my wife and I had something happen that we were hoping wouldn't happen for another year.

She lost her job.  Totally out of the blue, they called her into HR at the beginning of April and gave her the heave ho. 

We were truly hoping to get her through that job until 2020, which would have seen us have a few bills/loans paid off, and allowed her to go off into retirement without a lot of stress.

Well, life as many of you know will throw you many curveballs.  The big thing for me in this?  I've really had to cut way back on my card spending.   I hadn't bought anything on Sportlots for a couple of months until this past weekend, and even then I only spent just over $5 including shipping on 9 cards.


I'd looked for these 95-96 Collectors Choice Players Club parallels on COMC for a while, but the prices were a little ridiculous.  Pricing 7 of the 9 cards out just now would have cost me almost $8 (no copies of the Friesen and Zhamnov on the site currently), and that's before shipping.  So getting these for less than $6 was a great deal for me.

I'm finally down to just a trio of cards to finish this set, after a quarter of a century.  I'll probably end up going back to Sportlots to finish this off, since I just checked COMC and only two of the 3 cards are available.  I've found a lot of good deals over the past few years on COMC, but for this set, it's been a real strikeout to say the least.

It will be great to finish this set off finally after all these years.  It never should have taken this long to begin with....

Thanks for reading!

Robert

10 comments:

  1. Robert, any chance you'll be at the
    Tampa flea market saturday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no. Will have to try and get up there someday to check it out...

      Delete
  2. Good luck to Mrs. M! Nobody needs that kind of stress. As for the cards, I love seeing people complete sets, so good luck finishing that one up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis, the big thing on the positive side was she got away from a couple of stressful co-workers.

      I'm going to finish this one up soon, just 3 left and I'm quite pumped.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to read about your wife. Downsizing sure does screw things up royally. I finally got a new job six months after losing mine. Hope you guys are able to bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing all right so far, just being more careful about where and when we spend $$. Card budget has taken a hit, but that's OK...

      Delete
  4. Man... that totally sucks to hear about your wife and her job. Not sure if she plans on taking an early retirement or not, but if she does want to still work... I hope she finds a job she enjoys... and one that will appreciate her more.

    P.S. Best of luck on you completing this set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, early retirement it is. She can work on her crafts, and to be honest, putting up with me has to make retiring a year early a bit of a reward...LOL

      Delete
  5. Yeah, that really stinks to hear. Hopefully you all can make it work out. Nice little variety of hockey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing well so far, thank you! This was one of those hockey sets from the 90's that could be put together on the cheap, which is why I've always liked it!

      Delete