Tuesday, March 26, 2019

My LCS? It's over 2000 miles away

You ever get that feeling when you talk with someone on the blogs, or on Twitter, that they're like a kindred spirit?  Dave from the Wax Stain Rookie blog for me is one of those people.  His love of hockey and hockey cards is very reminiscent of how I've felt for decades.  You can see it in his writing as well, as his love for vintage hockey is very evident.

Dave had contacted me about 3 weeks ago, following up on a few cards that I bought from his Twitter sales.  Yep, I still wanted them was my response, and then I followed up asking about a couple of more cards that I needed.

There's only 8 cards on this post, but every one of them has a spot in my collection.


Some OPC rookies here, 3 of them much newer than the 4th, which is card that for just a few bucks is now part of my 1974-75 OPC build.  This is one of the few photos that you'll find with Lanny McDonald clean shaven, as he is famous for his walrus type mustache. 

These were just the beginning.


The Night Owl talked recently about cards having stories and how he wanted to have his cards tell his story.  Totally understandable.   But for me, this 2nd year Gilbert Perreault has a great story somewhere that I don't mind adding to my collection.   Creased, tape stain on the front below the logo, and a sheen on the back which I can't put my finger on as to what it is all adorn this card.   I love it, love it, love it.  Oh, and the Gump Worsley card is also great.  My 1971-72 OPC set is slowly picking up some steam with these 2 cards, a half dozen from COMC that I'll show sometime this week, and 4 more that I bought yesterday from Ebay using the "PERFECT3" code that had gone around the Twitterverse.

As great as these 2 are, the next 2 really exceeded my expectations.


The last key RC in my 83-84 set was Scott Stevens.  I bought this and the Gretzky base card from Dave for a very nice price, and with the cards that I received from COMC yesterday, I'm now down to 3 to finish this set!!  These 2 cards are as close to mint as I've found anywhere. 

Dave offers quite a few cards from his LCS on Twitter for sale.  I keep an eye out for them because they're hockey, and well, that's what I love.  Dave's also based in Nova Scotia, which is about as far as you can get from where I am without going west....

Yep, my LCS is now 2000 miles away, and I'm not complaining one bit.  Thank you for the cards Dave, they are great!

Thanks for reading!

Robert

2 comments:

  1. Immediately thought of Night Owl's post when I saw Perreault and Worsley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a profound effect on a lot of us...

      Delete