Thursday, March 28, 2019

It's Opening Day, so let's show off some baseball!!

Continuing on with the COMC posts, I decided to get some baseball on the blog today, even though I had the hockey already queued up and ready to scan and show.  We'll save the hockey for the next post.

This post has a lot of set help, along with a few more serial #'d cards to add to a couple of PC's.  After all, it sort of  wouldn't be a blog post here without something with numbers on it, right?


I probably should have added the rest of the SPs I needed from the '18 A&G set to this order, but for some reason I only purchased these 2.  This want list is down to 14 cards, 5 of them SPs.  This set will be completed in April, along with the 83-84 OPC hockey set and the '84 Topps set.  That'll leave me the rest of 2019 to finish at least 2 more sets to get to my goal.


A long neglected set build had one card knocked off it.   1959 Topps has taken a back seat as I approach the point where the cards that remain are $$$.  My patience paid off here, as I only paid 78 cents for the Don Hoak you see above.  I don't think I'll find that kind of deal for any of the 101 cards that remain on the '59 want list. 


Seeing Johnson and Johnson on the top row of the scan was a happy accident.  4 nice copies of '68s on the very cheap, as I paid 44, 44, 46 and 47 cents for these 4 cards.  I'm now just over 40% done with this set, still a long way to go but there's no rush yet.



I've said many times, '76 Topps was a set that I never thought I'd finish relatively quickly, but I found these on the cheap as well so they were added to my cart.   Just over $2 total brought all 4 home.  101 cards remain on the '76 want list, but there is a lot of star power to pick up, including a couple of Hank Aaron cards, 2nd year of Brett/Yount, a few all time great cards, and other big names like Nolan Ryan will slow this completion down a little.  

Maybe after I finish my other 3 sets in April I'll try and focus on finishing this one off.   We'll see...



A little bit of hindsight tells me that picking up cards here and there from late 70's and early 80's Topps sets on COMC might not be the most prudent method of putting sets together; I'm sure that I'll do much better at knocking down these want lists via trades or Sportlots.   Lesson learned.


What I do like doing though is added serial #'d cards of my player collections on the cheap.  Bowman gold #'d out of 50 for $1.25.  The 2 Donruss parallels cost $1.08 combined.  I won't complain about 3 nice additions to the McCutchen PC for under $2.50.

Speaking of under $2.50, here's a couple of more additions to that little project.


2018 Donruss Optic Red parallel of Charlie Blackmon.  


Serial #'d 56/99.   95 cents.   I'm sure that I'll be able to add a lot of no name players to this list over time, but my goal is to add players with some star power.   Guys that everyone knows. 

Here's another one for you:

Robinson Cano 2018 Topps Finest Green Refractor.


Serial #'d 98/99.  85 cents.  How can I leave them there at that price? 

I'll add these 2 scans to the TCDB later tonight.  I actually went a little crazy with these on this COMC order, as I  have a bakers dozen to show off on Saturday's post, including the first basketball card I've bought in several years. 

Speaking of Opening Day, I saw the the Jays had only 2 hits today, with the first finally coming after the first 20 batters were retired by Jordan Zimmermann.  

This could be a long hot summer down here in the south.  Even longer if this is going to be the norm for Jays baseball....

Thanks for reading!!

Robert

2 comments: