Sunday, February 17, 2019

After the first 5 minutes it was all downhill

I had mentioned before the monthly card show a little over a week ago that I had a plan.

'76 Eckersley RC & '84 Mattingly Topps RC needed to be crossed off the list. 

It's rare that I go to a show with a plan because I usually end up straying off the plan and then coming home disappointed.

Not this time.

I went to the show on Friday afternoon for the first time, as I had heard the dealers mention in their conversations that Friday afternoons always seem to do better.  So I booked off the afternoon and decided to see if it was true.

I hit the show right at 4:00 and made a lap around the tables, and at one of the tables I saw this:


Price?   $10.   No brainer.  I asked the dealer if he had a Mattingly RC.  He said he didn't but what happened next was interesting.  He asked the dealer next to him.   Nope.   He asked another dealer.  Nope.   He then asked a 3rd person.   Bingo!  I told that dealer I'd be right over.  I also bought this at the first table for $8


Two nice pieces of the '76 puzzle in hand.


Off to the other table, and for $15 I had this card in my possession.

All this done in 5 minutes.  I thanked the dealer who sold me the Mattingly, and looked around.

What do I do now?  My task was finished, and it was as if someone let the air out of my tires.

I wound up staying another 90 minutes, bought the Brees card I showed off yesterday from one of my regular dealers, then went home. 

Can't say I've ever had that feeling at a show before, but if I get that way after adding a couple of nice cards towards 2 sets that I'm building every time, I'll take it.

Thanks for reading!

Robert

8 comments:

  1. I don't typically go into card shows with specific goals in mind either. I prefer to focus on a certain set or player and see where that takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Better than coming away empty handed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mission accomplished! Perhaps you just need a longer list of goals for next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea that's very true. Can only spend so much though....lol

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! Love that the dealer was willing to ask the other dealers about the Mattingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing that I'm starting to learn is that there is a lot of camaraderie among the dealers at the show. Very cool

      Delete
  5. I once made the '76 Eck a target item at a card show, and like you I found mine at one of the first tables at that show...also for $10. Eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on meeting your goals so quickly, as well as resisting the urge to keep buying!

    ReplyDelete