Friday, January 18, 2019

5 in a row

Funny what pops into your head when you start to write a post.   Me, being the obsessive numbers guy, thought to myself "when was the last time I posted 5 days in a row?"  Took a couple of minutes to look it up, but Sept. 20 through the 24th was the last time that happened.

Slacker.

No big deal really, as I'm still on the card trail most every day.   My desk is proof of that. 

Last weekend's card show knocked off a few cards from a trio of vintage sets.  At a quarter apiece, it wasn't hard to pick up these...


5 cards gone off of the '70 Topps set with this purchase.   This is the one set that I never have any intention of purchasing every time I go to a show, and somehow these cards just fall into my pile. 

Of the 5 sets between 1968 and 1972, this is probably my least favorite.  Of the 5 sets between 1968 and 1972, this is probably the one that I'll finish first.  The Munson RC and a 3rd year Nolan Ryan will be the stumbling blocks, but other than that with some patience I should be able to get the other big names for reasonable prices.  This year I'll probably just hit the 50% mark....




Another group of cards that I couldn't leave behind at 25 cents apiece.  While flipping through the stack that the dealer had, I tried to get what I could of the team cards as well as the rookie stars.  I still haven't even the 100 card mark for this set, but there's no hurry as it's probably near the bottom of the "expect to finish before the 2020's end" list.


Was there a time when Billy Martin wasn't arguing as a manager?

Ralph Garr=blurry

Various pitching poses

Reading the Night Owl's blog that chronicled his chase of the '72 set, especially the high numbers, makes me wonder if I may have bitten off more than I can chew. 

Seeing these '72 Topps cards brings me back to the late 1990's when I first started picking some of these up, and then got frustrated with how slow I was putting the set together that I got rid of them.  I still wouldn't be anywhere near completing the set even if I had those, but I sure would be further ahead than the 16% I am right now. 

Still have a lot of cards to post, so hopefully I can keep the string of consecutive days going. 

Thanks for reading!

Robert

9 comments:

  1. I haven’t posted 5 in a row in ages. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those 72T high numbers can be brutal. I gave it a shot... but quickly realized I was better off purchasing a completed set instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never posted 5 days in a row, but definitely admire those who can. Nice 70s pick ups for sure. Good luck with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that Darrell Porter rookie, but ~6 year old me drew circles on it with a pen. Looks really strange to me without the pen marks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circles to represent Darrell glasses I'm assuming?

      Delete
  5. I need my business card to say: "I've completed the 1971 and 1972 Topps set." ... Good luck, it's a loooong process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card could say something like "71 & 72 Topps are in the bank". I would post a card like that on a cork board somewhere in my office, just as a reminder...

      Delete
  6. I have trouble staying two and three posts ahead, and that's a whole week for me!
    Keep at it. I found buck-a-shot '72 high numbers at the National in Atlantic City. They are out there if you're not after gradeable copies. I have a whole row of singles from '72 as well that we can work a deal for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that the high numbers are available that cheap. Will be awhile before I'm looking for them though. Shoot me a message on the TCDB site when you want to work a trade...

      Delete