Wednesday, October 17, 2018

It really is a sickness

Kind of tying this post into how I'm feeling at the moment, as I'm quite positive I'm heading towards a nice chest cold over the next few days.   My wife was sick last week, and I could feel myself slowing down a bit today.

So I'll sneak in a post showing off a few more cards from last week's card show haul.

I only hit the one table and spent probably close to an hour at the table digging through dime boxes, along with a handful of $1 boxes as well.   My serial #'d sickness was satisfied somewhat.


What kind of makes me wonder is I found these cards in the dollar box.   Kris Bryant #'d out of 99.  Kyle Seager gold Chrome #'d out of 50.  The peach colored Seager from Archives is #'d out of 199.  Wasn't that long ago that these would go for $5 or more, no?



These 3 were in the dime boxes.  Yes, Hamels, Kinsler and Scherzer, all #'d cards, for 10 cents apiece. 


I hadn't seen any Panini Spectra before this past weekend, but these 3 Josh Donaldson cards were in the dollar box.  The blue on the left is serial # 4/99.  The pink is # 3/75.  The green is # 48/49.  Again, not too long ago these cards likely would have been several dollars.  I can happily say I got these for $3 total.   I spent a total of $15 at his table, and pulled a nice stack of cards for several collections, and some for other collectors.

Maybe it's just me that thinks this is sick...

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I've often wonder why such neat low numbered cards can be had for so little, I think the only possible reason is... there's just so many of 'em out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better. At least you can lay in bed and stare at these nice shiny Donaldsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jon. There are so many serially-numbered cards that the novelty has worn off a little bit. I feel bad that I am counted among the collectors who are so jaded that a # /99 or # /199 or even some # /50 or less barely move the needle for me. I can't even imagine pulling something like that when I was a teenager collecting basketball cards in the 90's. It would have been my pull of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice show haul and great deals. I agree with all about the over abundance of specialty cards. It seems that now every gimmick, idea and special feature that has been done with/to cards have been overdone and are not that interesting anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even pay attention to the special cards myself. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete