Saturday, September 8, 2018

I've been busy

Haven't written a post in over two weeks, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy with the collection.  Just the opposite.

I've really spent some quality time on the Trading Card Database website, updating my trade list/want lists, and have actually completed a few trades this week.  Have some posts later this week to chronicle those.

Today's post centers on my quest to find a decent dealer on sportlots.  I've had to knock a couple of my go to sellers off due to poor performances recently.  I decided to try another seller, greenie2, with a 20 card commons order to see how they handled the transaction.

I was impressed...


My 1985 Topps set is pretty much completed, as the remainder of my want list is in my COMC cart.  These 5 cards I was able to find for a quarter or less apiece, so I saved about $2 altogether compared to COMC. 


Same with the 1980 set.  These were all priced at the 18 cent minimum, and knocked 8 cards off the '80T want list.   The remainder of the cards I need, except for the Rickey Henderson RC, are also in my COMC cart.  So today's card show will hopefully turn up a good Rickey RC at a decent price, and I can put this set to bed as well.


I didn't want to be too cheap for the first purchase with a new seller, so I added 7 1982 Topps commons to the list.  I have a very long way to go for this set, as these 7 put me just over 20% complete. 

What impressed me about this seller was the speed (had the cards in less than a week, including the holiday), and the packaging.  The seller used cardboard cutouts to protect the brick of cards, perfectly I might add.  It's been a while since I've seen anyone take that much care in shipping.

So while I haven't been posting on the blog at all for a little over 2 weeks, the piles on the desk are starting to grow.   This means I'll be writing some posts over the next few days.

Try to keep the groans to a minimum...OK?

Thanks for reading, Robert

7 comments:

  1. Cool. I haven’t stepped into the TCDB yet. One day!

    I have a few blue jays for you. I keep pulling their inserts/parallels in the few packs I’ve gotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken some time, but not only has the TCDB helped me get some trades done, but it's helped me organize a good portion of my collection.

      As I joke with my wife, "it keeps me off the streets"

      Delete
  2. Hey Robert. If you shoot me an email with your mailing address, I should be able to help you out with the 1982 Topps set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji, I sent you a quick email. I hit the card show today and will update my '82 want list shortly.

      Delete
    2. Sounds good. Let me know when it's updated and I'll start digging.

      Delete
  3. I tried using the TCDB but I wasn't a huge fan of the setup. I've decided to catalog via a standard Google Doc once Zistle went kaput.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried TCDB yet but have traded with people from there and the biggest drawback is that it's really hard to search the want lists. I do sell on SL and have focused a lot of time in getting more of my stuff up on there.

    ReplyDelete