Thursday, July 26, 2018

The focus has helped....somewhat

I declared a while ago that I was going to try and focus on finishing one set at a time to try and not feel so overwhelmed by all the sets that I wanted to complete.

That worked for a short time, as I knocked a good chunk off of the 76-77 OPC hockey want list right away.

Then the cheap ass in me took over.  That's usually my standard M.O.  Buy up as many cards as I can to get close to finishing the set, then wait and wait for the best deal possible to finish up the set with the high end cards.


My latest COMC order came with just 2 cards for the various hockey sets that I'm building.  This 76-77 OPC team leaders card I picked up for just over $2, and it reminded me of the talent that the Sabres had in the mid 70's.  You don't even see Rene Robert, Jim Schoenfeld, Craig Ramsay or the other solid players that this team had.  It's kind of surprising that they didn't get to the Cup final more than once.

This card brings me down to 14 for the set, and I still have some big names like Orr, Dryden, and the Tiger Williams rookie still to pick up.  Bargain hunting it is...

Speaking of looking for cheap cards, for me this next card was the steal of the order.


One of the best U.S. born players of his era (if not the best), the Pat LaFontaine RC is criminally low priced at $15.   I somehow managed to snag this copy off of COMC for under $4 (!) which should never happen.  Aside from being slightly off center, the card is in fantastic shape, and is a fabulous addition to my 84-85 OPC set build.  I'm just a couple of cards away from being 1/6th of the way through the set, and I'm always hunting for a nice lot of cards to give me a push towards completing the set.

I will say this about my focus, it may have strayed away from finishing off the 76-77 OPC set somewhat, but my resolve for purchasing only cards towards my set projects has grown.   Outside of the hockey re-pack I bought myself to celebrate the 7th anniversary of the blog, nothing new is coming into the house. 

The fact that I've held out this long from buying packs is a miracle itself.  We'll see how long it lasts.

thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Sweet LaFontaine! He was one of my favorite players when I first started watching hockey in the early 90's. He reminded me of Robert Downey Jr. for some reason.

    ReplyDelete