Sunday, May 27, 2018

Try A Pack #13: 2017-18 Upper Deck Series 2

So I head out to my local Target yesterday to see what all the hub bub is about these Bowman Mega Boxes.  First spot I head over to is the card aisle.  

Bowman?  What's that?   I should have taken a picture while I was there (didn't think of it then) but there was not a single sign that Bowman even existed in the store.  No matter, I wanted something else anyhow.

I decided to buy a half dozen packs of Series 2 hockey, 3 for myself to open yesterday, and 3 to put away for later on.


Same as always, some great photography.  I don't remember the last time I pulled a triple exposure card from UD, but the Josh Gibson card looks great. 

I can't say whether or not I like that the OPC high number cards are inserted into UD packs, but I was happy that I pulled a Patrick Marleau Leafs card in the first pack so I guess that my objections are a bit muted...


Pack #2 features some great goalie shots, including the Jonathan Bernier head shot which I decided to put right in the middle of the scan.  Not that the Cory Schneider and Ben Bishop cards are slouches, but there's something about head shots featuring great goalie mask art that always draws me in.

BTW, the Ben Bishop Tron inspired glow in the dark masks have been a favorite of mine since he introduced them a couple of years ago, and I'd love it if he made more designs based on this concept. 

How about Dylan Ferguson, who I think was 4th on the Vegas goalie depth chart getting a Young Guns card!!  Not bad for only playing 9 minutes in one NHL game back in November against the Oilers. 


Speaking of great shots, I love the Nick Bonino card; shows the intense concentration that these guys possess when taking face-offs. 
I saw the Scott Hartnell card and wondered if this might have been his last run at the Cup.  He's 35 and has 17 NHL seasons under his belt (I was surprised that it had been that many!). 
Pulled another OPC high number card, this time of Giovanni Fiore, who I hadn't heard of at all.   I looked him up, and he's similar to Dylan Ferguson; he played one game this year for the Ducks with no points and a minus 1. 

I would love to some day collect a run of modern Upper Deck sets, but the Young Guns concept, while very popular, leads to some very expensive Rookie Cards (McDavid, Matthews to name two). 

But for now I'll be happy with buying a couple packs here and there and hopefully pull something great....

I probably have a better shot a hitting the lottery.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. UD always scores a hat trick. I thought I was the only one who saves half of what he buys. Pack stash!

    ReplyDelete