Thursday, May 24, 2018

Inbound and Down #41: Waiting 'til Next Year

With the Cubs finally winning their long awaited World Series ring a couple of years ago, it might be time for Tom at the Waiting 'til Next Year blog to rename his blog. 

Maybe "no more waiting 'til next year"?

Anyhow, let's get onto the bulk of the box that Tom sent me this week.  33 cards from the 1990 Leaf set were inside, here's 9 of them...


What I'm really loving about putting these older sets together (OK '90 Leaf isn't "older") is that I'm seeing players in uniforms that I'd totally forgotten about.  Case in point, Gary Carter in a Giants uniform.  I remember the Expos, sure.  Mets, his world series ring.  The Giants in 1990, not so much.  Looked up his stats and saw that he played for the Dodgers the next year.   I don't remember that either.   I must be getting old.



Tom had mentioned in his email to me that he had some '80 Topps set help.  That turned out to be 48 great cards to knock off the want list.  Lots to love on these old uniforms, the small handwritten a on the Braves caps, the red TC on the Twins hats, and the old style Pirates cap are three things that I really like on these 2 scans.  We were still a year or 2 away from losing the black caps/uniforms that the White Sox sported in the late 70's.




As I mentioned yesterday, the bulk of the box was a big chunk of '78 needs.  This is the one set that I really didn't have a lot of until the other day.  A few things I noticed on some of these cards.

  1. I have a lot of Cliff Johnson cards.  He looks pretty tame on this one compared to most of the others.
  2. I would love to see the Indians sport the old red tops on a throwback night in Cleveland.   Love the old "Indians" lettering.
  3. Powder blue was certainly the in thing at that time, 5 cards featuring players on 5 different teams with the baby blues...
  4.  Had to check, but yes that is an airbrush job on the Bill Bonham card (he was with the Cubs in '77).
  5. Rico Carty would start the '78 season in Toronto as he was traded by the Tribe in spring training.
  6. Clean checklists are always good. 
All totaled Tom sent me about 1/6th of the '78 set, which is absolutely fantastic.  He also saved me from hunting down starter sets on ebay which I had been doing earlier in the week.

Tom, the cards are much appreciated, thank you!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: