Saturday, May 12, 2018

Getting somewhat serious about 59 Topps

So I hit the monthly card show today for the first time in a couple of months, and the first table I hit was the vintage dealer that I've hit several times in the past.

For some reason, I felt the need to knock off some more '59 Topps cards off the want list.  Alas, it's also to the point in the set where the majority of the $2 and under cards have already been purchased.  So today it was more of the 3 and 4 dollar variety cards.  Thankfully, the cards from him are always in really nice shape.


Part of the reason for having to buy more expensive cards?  Yankees and Dodgers.  Yep, picked up some of those today. 


The cards are really sharp, almost to the point where it makes you wonder if they're legit.  I love Ed Fitzgerald's giant catchers mitt, something you really don't see much anymore.

Glen Hobbie's card was the only one that I paid $1 for; as I mentioned everything else was a bit more pricey.  Vic Wertz's card was the only one that was numbered in the 500's; his is #500 in the set.  I shudder to think what the last 42 cards numbered 500 or higher that I need are going to cost me. 


$6, not bad for a couple of good pitchers on the same card

These 12 cards brought me over the 80% completion mark for the set.  I'm starting to get the same feeling that I got when putting the '64 set together; the anticipation is starting to grow as the number of cards I need grows smaller. 

I'm pretty sure when I get below 100 cards on my want list that feeling will kick up a notch...

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment