Monday, May 28, 2018

Four by Ten

Sometimes on the spur of the moment I'll decide to hit Sportlots up for a quick card order.  My latest purchase from that website had me looking for a new seller to try out.

At the time, I was also looking to enhance a few of my player PCs.  I had just finished listing a couple of older collections (Mats Sundin and Keith Tkachuk) onto the TCDB website and decided to see if I could add a few more cards to those.

Well, I wound up adding 10 cards to each of those two collections but that just wasn't enough.  So I decided to grab 10 more for another PC, Jim Thome.


What's surprising to me is that even though my Thome count is over 500 in hand, I can still manage to purchase base card needs for the Sportlots minimum of 18 cents. 


Now the one card I have a question about is the Upper Deck Predictor card in the lower left corner.  I've seen most of the Collector's Choice versions of the Predictor card, where the date that the player is supposed to hit a homer is right on the card.  I can't say that I've ever seen a predictor card that's a scratch off before.  Now there's no way I'm going to scratch the card but I'd love to know if anyone out there did and if so what was underneath the bats.

Now to finish off my order, I decided to see if this seller had any of my set needs.  Sure enough, I found 10 cards off of my 1984 Topps want list in a hurry.


The only card I didn't scan was the Twins team checklist/leaders card.  So now I've got 10 fewer cards on that want list, and as an added bonus, he threw in an extra '78 Topps card that I needed for that set...

1978 Topps #208

Seeing this card got me thinking, how often is it that the Stolen Base leaders of both leagues are full time infielders.  You think of stolen base kings over the past 40 years, most of them are outfielders.  I found three years since '77 where full time infielders led both leagues in steals, 2014-15 when Dee Gordon and Jose Altuve led their leagues and 2002 when Luis Castillo and Alfonso Soriano (before he moved to the outfield) were the steal kings. 

So, I've found myself another go to seller on Sportlots, user ID is kommking.  I received the order in less than a week, and the nice '78 Topps bonus card was a plus.  Plus the 10% loot credit he gives is a nice bonus if I decide to place multiple orders over time.

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment