Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Feeling a little overwhelmed

I think I've bitten off a little more than I can chew right now.   I am working on what has to be a couple dozen baseball sets, and I want to complete nearly a dozen hockey sets. 

Yeah, it's a lot.

I also love grabbing cards for the players I collect.  I've added a few more players during the past year.  They're all big names (Ichiro, Larry Fitzgerald, Andrew McCutchen) so there's a lot of cards for each of them as well.

I've done some thinking about all this the past few days.  And I know what my problem is.

I just can't focus on one thing.  If I could just say "I want to finish xxx set next" and focus solely on that, that might help ease the overwhelmed feeling. 

But it's tough.   All those cards out there to buy. 

There are guys that I follow on twitter that are set builders.   They seem to have no problem focusing on a task and completing it.  Mind you, they have a bigger following than I do (most people do...lol) and putting want lists out there goes a long way for them. 

So maybe it's time I made a decision.  


76-77 OPC.  This is a set that I should have finished a long time ago.  My start on this was thanks to Dave at the Wax Stain Rookie blog, as he offered up a starter lot of these cards on his blog and I jumped at the chance.  How long ago you may ask?  I've been in Florida almost 3 years now, and I got these before I moved here. 

I have 49 cards left, 3 of them are already in my cart at COMC.  Let's see if focusing on finishing this set over the next few weeks helps ease the burden. 

Maybe I should think positive and start thinking about what's next...

Thanks for reading, Robert

8 comments:

  1. Like you I have decided to focus on one collecting goal at a timeworn it comes to something big. I decided to start working on some sets from my childhood and was feeling overwhelmed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great design! I hope you can knock this one off soon. I'm reorganizing my collection due to limited storage space. If my cards are only going to sit in boxes, never to be enjoyed then they are doing me little good. I'm having more fun collecting now than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the set. I think it is something that most collectors face....what to focus on. Is 76-77 OPC hard to come by, or are there a lot of cards out there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the set completion! I love that Perreault card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goal is still to complete every set. I don't actively work on any until they get close. I love not knowing what will come next and what will get completed when.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you look at my wants page, I've got tons of sets in the making, plus team and player collections all going at the same time. None of them have to be done immediately, so I just fill them in with whatever I can find first.
    It would only get overwhelming when I can't recognize cards that I have on my lists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck on these sets. Set building is the primary piece of evidence that I have ADD. I have the toughest time staying focused on one set. I think I have 20 to 30 set wantlists... but I'm so focused on picking up individual cards that I want for my player and team PC's... I never actually spend time looking to find cards for these sets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this feeling all too well! And I too am always amazed at how certain people can focus on just one set until it's completed, and then just move on to the next one.

    ReplyDelete