Sunday, December 24, 2017

It's not all about the baseball sets

I didn't do a whole lot for my other hockey sets (save for the SPs that I showed off yesterday) on the last COMC order, but I didn't totally neglect them.  I snagged some old and some new to knock some numbers off a trio of want lists.


One set that I've taken on is the 71-72 OPC set, and I'm finding that it's difficult to find cards on the cheap.  These were all around a buck a piece, and all some kind of flaw that is easily spotted.  I know that I'm never going to put together a NM copy of this set, it's not possible with the number of sets I'm tackling and the cost that a high grade set will be.

No matter, these are still great to look at and knocking off 4 cards from the set at a reasonable price is always a good thing.


One of the greatest nicknames in hockey, Ken "the Rat" Linseman was a vital part of the first Edmonton championship team.  He was traded that summer to the Bruins, and then traded again a few years later to the Flyers, but he never changed his game.  Ken was a tough competitor, great on face-offs and defensively. 

I've still got over 1/3 of the 83-84 OPC set to go, with a bunch of Gretzky cards to find.  Maybe 2018 will see this set completed (or hopefully close).

Serial #198

Finding numbered parallels from premium sets such as OPC Platinum at a decent price can be tough.  I was able to pick up this red prism of Jarome Iginla for under a buck. 


This guy is proof positive that you're never too small to play.  I could go on and on with his accomplishments, but I'll limit the commentary to the card that I'm happy to have as part of the SNI hockey set.   I've always liked the SP Authentic set, it's a good mid range set with a good selection of rookies.  This is the 12th Tampa Bay card for the set as it approaches the 300 card mark.


The last card of this post is the highest number I own in the set, another SP Authentic card featuring JS Giguere, then of the Maple Leafs.  I enjoyed being able to watch JS in Toronto for the 2 seasons he was there; sadly he was part of a couple of poor teams that didn't make the playoffs. 

Yeah, not a lot here to show, but it still knocks numbers off of want lists.   I wonder what I'll ever do if I don't have any want lists....

Perish the thought.

thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I picked up a copy of that Gigeure card in my last COMC order as well, it was my first as a hockey collector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As fancy as the modern hockey cards are (and they always seem sharper than other modern cards) those 71-72 OPC are hard to beat. What a fun set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outside of the early 50's Parkhurst sets, 71-72 OPC might be my favorite hockey set. It's going to take me a long time to finish because of the high $$ RC's, but each card that I pick up is worth it. They are just fun to look at, front and back.

      Delete
  3. Keep working on those sets!

    Those SP Essential cards look great; I'm pretty sure they made autograph versions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 71-72 Topps/OPC hockey set design is pretty awesome. Love the bubbly letters.

    ReplyDelete