Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Maybe a bit of boredom has set in

I really haven't written a lot lately.  To be honest, I haven't been in the mood to write.  Naturally, I'm compelled to ensure that the blogosphere is aware that someone has generously sent me some Blue Jays or other various want list staples.  It's the right thing to do.

Card show scores have also been a writing staple over the past few months.  Vintage this and vintage that.  Those of you that follow me regularly know the increased love I've shown for anything old over the past couple of years.

However, it's not all about the vintage in my mind.  I'd like to dabble in more modern sets as well.  2015 Topps base is an absolute must finish this year.  But there's nothing else that really makes me jump out and want to run to the store.

Opening Day has never been something that I want to chase.  One version of the base set is enough.

Gypsy Queen is OK, but each time I go to grab it on the shelf, I think to myself that my $$ can be better spent on something that's more interesting. 

So, to pass some time until Series 2 comes out, I've dabbled here and there with Heritage.  Even after saying that I'd pass on it a few weeks ago, the boredom that has set in to my collecting lately has pushed me towards this year's Heritage release.

Poor scan, there is no damage to either of these cards...

My gain is also Tony L.'s gain, if he's so inclined...

The two scans above highlight the best cards from the 2 rack packs I bought on the weekend. 

What worries me about 2015 Heritage and my somewhat increasing desire to chase the set can be summed up in 3 quick bullet points.

  1. I still haven't finished 2011 Heritage yet.  I've needed 28 SPs for the better part of the past 18 months.
  2. 2 years ago, I passed on completing the entire homage to '64 Topps, opting instead to just pick up cards 1-425.  How can I consider completing this year's set when I couldn't even chase the set that pays tribute to the vintage set I've slaved over for 3+ years now.
  3. I didn't even bother with last years Heritage set, the '65 set being far superior in design.  Some kind of sense has to prevail.
There are times where I need to sit down and write posts like these, to help talk myself out of building sets such as 2015 Heritage.

It's not that 2015 Heritage is bad.   It's just that I don't need to collect it. 

LOL, not yet anyways....

thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone ever completes Heritage do they? At least not us pathetic pack-buying collectors who don't blow through cases every week.

    That said, I need that Dee Gordon! (I'm still scraping together some cards for you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you the Dee, no problem there.

      I also now have 3 '75T buybacks for you as well, plus a smattering of other Dodger cards.

      Big show next weekend, hopefully I can add some more to that pile.

      Delete
  2. I built one Heritage set and probably won't do it again. It just takes too much time and money away from me adding Pirate cards. I've told myself a million times don't fall in the set trap. So far I've been pretty good....so far

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love that Braunie, and I have a 1959 Topps #262 in return (I got it for a great price and it's in good condition!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me Tony. I'll have to see if I can dig up some other cards for you at the big show we have coming here in Pittsburgh next weekend.

      Delete