Monday, February 2, 2015

By the page: 1992 Score

The battle continues.  Trying to get the box of Blue Jays into pages will take me a while, but I did manage to put 10 pages together on the weekend.  A few player pages along with some set pages helped create some room in the big box.

Tonight, I added an 11th page to the group, putting together a page of 1992 Score.  I never bothered with this set when it came out, and to be honest, it really doesn't do anything for me when I look at it.  I was stumped for a few moments on how to group these cards into the page, until I noticed the "band" under the Jays logo. 

The page isn't perfect, but it kind of fits together.

Top row:  Orange/green band


This is the only portion of the page where the bands didn't match on all 3 cards, but all is forgiven as the 3 players represented were all key components on the '92 championship team.

Middle row: Purple band


'92 was the first season in which Derek Bell saw some decent playing time with the Jays.  Bell was moved in the off season to the Padres and went on to have a few good seasons in the NL.  Olerud and Henke were two big pieces on the '92 team, especially Henke who saved 34 games in the regular season, adding 5 more saves in the playoffs to help the team earn the title as World Champions.

Bottom row:  Light blue band


Neither Snyder or Gonzales would play for the Jays in 1992, as neither were tendered a contract in the off season by the club.  Snyder would sign in San Francisco, while Gonzales became an Angel.  Timlin in '92 would be in his 2nd year in the big leagues, going on to play 16 more with several teams. 


Nothing fantastic to show off with '92 Score, but at least it's 9 more cards out of the box.

thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite sets, but I'm a sucker for pretty much any set that came out between '91 and '93, my big break into baseball cards. I love the neon and how the players pop onto it - that Alomar is a great looking card. I don't have the time or space to try to build every Padres team set, but I DO work on my favorite ones, and this is one that I definitely was excited to put together. I'm probably in the minority on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do everything in my power to get rid of these cards. So many 1992 sets I find terribly ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love buying those 100-card blister packs of '92 score when I was a young'n. Looking back, not my favorite of the early Score releases (that would be '89), but one I can appreciate since I have that sentimental attachment to it.

    ReplyDelete