Thursday, October 16, 2014

Down to 102

I've been a bit obsessed the past couple of weeks with the '59 Topps set.   I've been hunting eBay looking for deals on card lots to try and put a quick dent into the set.

In the midst of the bargain hunting, I had a minor revelation on Sunday evening.   "The '64 Topps set you've been building for the past 3 years is still waiting to be finished" I thought to myself.

So, I quickly switched my focus and started looking for Phil Niekro RC's from the '64 set.  When I was unable to find anything that I liked, I did a general search on the '64 set to see if there was anything there that would catch my eye.


This card appeared in the search.  It had a BIN of $16 and change, with a best offer option.   I took a shot and offered $15 shipped.


Today this beauty arrived in my mailbox.   I'm down to 102 cards left to go to complete my '64 set.  Still a lot of big names to pick up; McCovey, Gibson, Niekro, Gaylord Perry, and the A.L. Bombers card to name a few.

At the beginning, knocking off 20 or 30 cards from the want list was the reward.   Now, adding single cards like this makes this set build even more rewarding. 

I think when my want list for this set drops below 100 cards I'll definitely feel some satisfaction.   I've started older sets in the past, but gave up on them too easily. 

Not this time. 

The end isn't near, however the light at the end of the tunnel just became a little brighter today.

thanks for reading, Robert


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Already have the Koufax Josh, thank you for the offer though!

      Delete
  2. You need any common cards from '64? I still have some from when I was 8 years old. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete