Friday, May 23, 2014

Week in review: First play in winner decided

It was a fairly close race for most of the week, but in the end, even after the voting poll crapped out, the winner was:


1961 Topps won out by a 12-8 margin.  That set will assume the 15 seed, and will face 1974 Topps in the round of 16.  I've already set up the poll for the 2nd play in match, which features a battle of the titans (in my opinion, anyhow) as 1972 Topps will face off against 1971 Topps.   Both sets have their redeeming qualities, and I'm hoping that the poll widget doesn't crap out like it did this week.  The tale of the tape post for the next match will be posted at noon tomorrow.

Thank you to those who did vote!!

I've also put a little thought into possibly adding a second baseball PC to my collection.  One guy that I really enjoyed watching during the late 90's was this guy.

Yea, I know a lot of you may cringe at the thought of adding Mark McGwire to any PC, but PED use or not, I know that there were a lot of people watching him in 1999 as he chased and finally caught the record for homers in a season.  But I'm not completely sold on him.

There are a couple of current players that I've thought about collecting as well.   Andrew McCutchen is an easy choice, MVP talent, based here in western PA where I live.  "Cutch" may just end up being one of those players that just gets too expensive to collect the way he's hitting the ball again this year.  Another player that I really enjoy watching, and get a lot of opportunities to do so, is Johnny Cueto.  The Luis Tiant style windup is always something I've enjoyed, and Cueto is having a season for the ages so far in 2014.  The only thing that has really kept him from being considered one of the best pitchers in baseball over the past several years is injuries. 

I'm not overly sold on the idea of another baseball PC just yet, but the idea is there.  Stay tuned...

thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. The polls still aren't working, so I'll vote by the comments.

    I'm voting for the 1972 set.
    a) It's the last set I collected as a kid (and the first that I completed).
    b) It introduces the "In action", "Traded", and "Boyhood Photos" subsets.
    c) Not a big fan of the psychedelic colors, though.

    d) I didn't collect the 1971s back in the day - never liked the card backs (odd floating head photo on the back, causing a reduction to a single-year stat line; drab green-on-green coloring )

    ReplyDelete