Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cheap ass set building 101

I love building sets.  I also love my money.  The task of building vintage sets has been a great exercise for my patience, but it's a battle that I've been winning.   I've shown many times on the blog the great deals I've found on cards ('64 Mantle & '64 Aaron are two good examples) when I've been patient and not grabbed the first card that I saw.

The '73 Nolan Ryan I picked up last night is another good example.


It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but for $5 it fits well into my collection.

Speaking of $5 cards, here's another one.  It's a '64T with a little more star power...


Finding cards such as these at great prices just makes me want to build vintage sets even more.  Yes, there are some cards that you're not going to find very cheap, but for the most part, with some patience and luck I've been able to put together sets like '64 Topps at a very affordable price.

If you're thinking about building an older set, but not sure about the $$ aspect of it, I'm here to tell you that it can be done.  If you're patient and not super picky about condition, then give it a shot.

I've had a blast since I started building the '64 set a couple of years ago, and I intend to keep building vintage sets until I don't have any more left to build.  It's been too much fun, in a challenging way, for me to stop now.

Thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. Nice Ryan, especially for $5. Do you get most of these cards at shows, on eBay, somewhere else, all of the above...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mix of shows and eBay mostly. The Aaron and Mantle for my '64 set I purchased off of eBay.

      The two cards above I picked up at the same table as the 10 cent vintage I showed off last night.

      Delete
  2. Heya, Robert!

    Firstly, hilarious post title. Well done.

    Secondly, great score and way to be patient to nab the Ryan for a steal. Well done.

    Finally, I can't believe you picked up that '64 for a measly $5!

    Well.

    Done.

    ReplyDelete