Friday, April 18, 2014

Week in review: A little purging is necessary

Posting this week has been a little sporadic.  An odd work schedule for me this week is a big reason for that.  Having to get up at 3 in the morning on Wednesday, and then 330 AM today has really messed with my sleeping habits. 

So, instead of having 6 posts like I normally would, I sacrificed a couple of posts and got some sleep.  You could say that I purged the need to post every night.

Another need for purging came to me last week.  I felt the need to start cleaning up and organizing the multitude of monster boxes that I have lying around in my bedroom.  There are so many partial sets that haven't been looked at in almost a decade that it kind of made me a little sick to my stomach.  I even have a monster box that is starting to fall apart; even cardboard that gets moved around a lot over a 15 year period is going to take a beating.

My goal was to take the cards that were in that box and either start putting sets together, or get rid of the cards.   I didn't have the heart to throw the cards out, that didn't seem right.  Having become more charitable over the past couple of years (thanks to my wife), I started thinking about donating some of the excess.  I then remembered reading a long time ago about an organization that accepts donations and gets the cards out to children.

Commons4kids.org was the right thing for me.   I gathered about 1000 cards, boxed them up, and sent them off.  For the price of postage, I freed up some room, and did something good (in my opinion) for the hobby.  Hopefully there is a kid or two out there that will get some enjoyment out of these cards and become a future collector.

I'm sure that as I look through more boxes I will find more stuff to donate, but clearing out a little more than one row from a 5000 count monster box is a good start. 

I have to start making room for stuff that comes in that I want to have as part of my collection, like this..

An '84 Fleer sticker of Dave Collins.  The 1984 season was probably the best of Collins' career, hitting 15 triples and stealing 60 bases.  The back of this sticker was an interesting boast by Fleer...


"Collect Fleer trading cards, rated best in '84!"  I went to a more reliable source to see if this was the truth.

Turns out they were right.  What do I know?

Total spent on the hobby this week:  $0

It looks as if I'll be on the cheap for a few weeks (hopefully) until the big Robert Morris card show in Pittsburgh the 3rd week of May. 

thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment