Sunday, January 26, 2014

Moving past the century mark

I took the last two days off of posting while driving through the frozen wilderness that is western PA/western NY/southern Ontario.  As I get older, this drive "back home" to visit friends and family is becoming more of a white knuckle affair, and honestly it's getting old....

Enough of the bitching!!  Got the start of some great cards to show off this week tonight!!

I decided to single out this jersey card of Jim Thome that I received from blog reader JT (great coincidence, JT's initials could stand for Jim Thome for all I know).   This card is part of a boat load of Blue Jays/Jim Thome cards that JT sent my way, and the Thome's that he sent put me over the 100 card mark for this particular PC.   Nice!!



This is now the 4th "hit" that I own of Jim Thome, and as usual I had to do some research on the card to find out what particular set it came from.   Turns out that this is from the base 2003 Upper Deck set, but there are 2 different Leading Swatches jersey cards.   This one is the Home Run version, commemorating the 52 HRs that Jim hit the year previous.  The other is the Slugging Pct. version, highlighting what would turn out to be his career high slugging pct of .677.

I'm not sure if 2 versions of the same jersey card were necessary back in 2003, but coming from a guy who has a myriad of colored parallels of all kinds of cards, it may be an empty question. 

This card is part of a boat load of Blue Jays/Jim Thome cards that blog reader JT sent my way, and the Thome's that he sent put me over the 100 card mark for this particular PC.   Nice!!

Even still, it's a great card to have and I have to thank JT for sending it my way!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Nice. He's a first ballot HOFer if I had a vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you received the cards.. I wasn't completely sure what set the card came out of either, but the database site helped me figure that out... glad ya posted, i was wondering if i'd see something up here on the cards.. hope it was a satisfactory trade.. oh, what'd ya think of the Gose card? cool, huh? oh, and yeah, I am not Jim Thome... (but funny story, I had a Charlie Hall Browns football card that i sold on Ebay to a buyer named Charles Hall who lived in Ohio.. funny coincidence or the real Charles Hall? I should've asked)

    ReplyDelete