Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A good start on the '68 Topps set

I had only been collecting singles here and there for the '68 set.  I do like the set, but it hadn't been much of a priority as far as set building.

The monthly card show last weekend provided me with the opportunity to purchase 50 cards for $10.  At 20 cents a common, and with the condition being reasonable (for the most part), this was a buy that I couldn't pass up, even if I had a few of them already.



What's great about showing off all these cards to the blogosphere is I get to work on my poor 9 card scanning skills.  As you can see, I'm still not fairing that well...



Not a whole lot of big name players in this lot, but I got a chuckle when I saw the Art Shamsky card and immediately thought of the Robert Barone character in the show Everybody Loves Raymond.  I also wondered why John Donaldson's cap was blacked out, then I realized that the A's had moved from Kansas City to Oakland for the '68 season, and I guess Topps didn't want anyone to see the KC on the hat.  I'll have to keep an eye out for the other A's cards and see if they're all the same.


More scanning skills shown off here.  I made a vow to try and show off all the cards I pick up from the vintage sets this year.   I know there's a few of you out there that like to see them displayed, and it only takes a few extra minutes to show off my lack of scanning skills...

I didn't expect to find a lot of '68s right off the bat, or I would have challenged myself a little more than hitting the 20% mark for year.  Just 52 more cards to reach that goal.

Tomorrow, I'll show off an even bigger lot of '62s. 

thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. Takes me back to my youth. 1968 wasn't the first set I remember but it was the first I really collected--and yes, I still have them. Heavy on the Cubs which is fine by me. An odd observation--the color used for the Cubs and White Sox has always reminded me of butterscotch pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scanning 9 cards perfectly is nearly impossible. Don't feel bad. Great cards! Good luck with the set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be able to help out with a few '68s if you'd like. I'll check to see what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good man scanning them all. I like seeing individual cards from sets like '68. It's one of those sets I've virtually ignored, so each card is like a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent pickup Robert. My son has been going through his 2014 Olympic cards and I thought Ted Uhlaender's last name sounded familiar. I looked him up and he's the father of USA Skeleton competitor Katie Uhlaender who appears in that set. Cool.

    ReplyDelete