Monday, October 14, 2013

Toning it down, or gearing it up?

Ever since the monthly card show 9 days ago, I haven't bought anything.  I've avoided hitting the big box stores for a quick fix.  What's on the shelves right now just doesn't interest me, and even when the Update series comes out later this week, I don't think I'm going to chase that right away.

I tried adding cards to my cart at Sportlots, but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger.  There are sets that I'm close to finishing, but I just couldn't be bothered chasing them.

I even signed up for the COMC.com website (finally) on the weekend, and started a cart.  But for some reason, I didn't bother checking out (bad play on words...). 

I guess after my splurge from the end of September to the card show, maybe I'm feeling a little guilty about my bout of overspending.  I really haven't kept to the "$30 a week" moniker for the last little while, and I'm wondering if that is weighing on me.

Whatever the case may be, acquiring new cards is not in the cards (again, bad play on words), at least for the foreseeable future.  I do know that come the 2nd weekend in November, I will be heading back home for my trek to Canada's largest hockey card show.

So for the next 3 to 4 weeks, my task will be cleaning up my desk (like I always say it is) and writing about the cards I currently have in my possession.  What that means is unless you, the great and the good of the blogosphere, send me some cardboard goodness, I will be relying on 2 things alone for posts.

1.  The Serial Insanity set (which goes without saying)
2.  My brains

Holy shit am I in trouble...

With only about 3-4 posts worth of cards remaining on my desk for the SNI set, I've got to rely on my brains for the remaining 20 + posts over the next 26 days.  And no, this is not me begging everyone out there to send me a crazy mass of brown envelopes or PWE's.

Although I would not be adverse to seeing a few more cards from this set land in my mailbox...

Beautiful, even with the CH on it.
Jim over at the GCRL blog sent me a couple of Leafs from the 71-72 OPC set a few weeks back, and I must say that I'm hooked on this set.  This Rejean Houle card came as part of a 17 card lot I won on eBay in September for less than $10 (including shipping), which included names such as Brad Park, Jean Ratelle and Norm Ullman. It appears that the card has spent some time in somebody's bike spokes...

The 71-72 OPC set is going to be somewhat similar to the '64 Topps baseball set that I'm putting together, expensive but attainable.  There are some expensive RCs in the set (Ken Dryden, Guy Lafleur and Marcel Dionne), the checklist cards go for a boatload of $$, and there are plenty of other HOFers that will command a pretty penny. 

With that in mind, it appears that I'm going to do my best to take it easy for the next few weeks, and save a little bit of cash so I am able to do some damage at the Expo.

Hard to say if I'm toning down my overspending from September, or just saving my money and getting geared up for November. 

LOL, let's see how long I can keep myself from reaching into my wallet.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: