Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I still have a lot of catching up to do

Over the past few weekends, I've said it many times and it still hasn't happened.

"I'm going to get this mess cleaned up this weekend".   Yea right.

I always end up finding something else to do.  Housework.  Groceries.  Stare at the TV and yell at the Leafs.  It's real easy to find any kind of excuse not to work on the land mine that is my collection right now. 

One of the many projects that I want to get started is the cataloging of my 2 player collections, Joe Sakic and Jim Thome.  Thome's collection of 25 cards should not be that difficult. My Joe Sakic collection, of which I have at least 10x more, is going to be a little bit more of a task.

I was fortunate to pick up a handful of Joe Sakic cards during my trip to the "new" LCS a few weekends back, and I've finally resolved to at least write a few words about them.

This first card is probably my favorite of the five that I bought:


This 2003-04 Victory Freshman Flashback insert is one of only 3 cards (Joe's OPC/Topps RC's being the other 2) that feature Joe wearing the #88 on his Nordiques jersey.  I could be wrong and there might be other cards that feature Joe with the double snowmen, but for now this is a great find for me. 

This next card still strikes me as odd when I look at it.

It's kind of hard to see from the scan, but that extra area around the top of the card is indeed a border, quite a large one as a matter of fact.  I originally thought that this was an early 90's insert card, but upon further review, it turns out that it is actually card #55 in the 92-93 OPC set. 

The final card is one that I really like as well, it features Joe in the middle of a faceoff win:


That is card #54 from 06-07 Upper Deck, a set that I have never bought one pack of.  Someday, that will change as well, as this design is one that I really like, and as usual the Upper Deck photography is top notch.  Yes, I am grading the set on only one card, but in the end I only have to answer to myself. 

My frenzy of Heritage buying the past couple of weeks has only added to the clutter, and for me to ever hope of catching up with the madness that I call a collection, I'm probably going to have to sit down and write a list of the things I need to do.

Maybe slowing down would be a good start...

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment