Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What's the easiest way to finish a set? Win a contest!

The prognosticator of prognosticators.  The seer of all things unseen.  I'll read your palms as well if you'd like.

OK, maybe all that was a little over the top, but it's not often that I get to say that I was right about something.

I managed to predict the winner of the Super Bowl 5 weeks before it happened.  I turned my ability to see into the future into a contest win over at CB's Collector's Crack blog.  (Note:  My head is swelling to a size that currently can't be measured by any type of device...be afraid)

If you click the link, you'll see the spoils of my contest win.  CB also sent me an email later, asking me what else I would like.  Jays were naturally the spoils that I wished for, and CB took care of me as I knew he would.

For tonight, I'll show you just 2 cards...the first is my 1st card from 2013 Topps that I received from another blogger, a Target red parallel of a Blue Jay from the "sea turtle" set (yes, I've read the post, and I can't get the sea turtle out of my head)


Honestly, I do like the design of the set, and the red parallels really do work.  Well, at least this one does, for me.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering how a set got finished?  Well, '86 Topps is in the books my friends, the final card was sent to me as part of the prize package...


The puzzled look of Chuck Cottier is now in my possession, and another set is in the books.  This set is pretty much an accomplishment of the blog world, because I never bought a pack, bought a single online or at a card show.  The entire set was accumulated via trades. 

By the way, I'm not sure if you read close enough, but the Colby Rasmus isn't my first Topps 2013 card.  I'll post that shame tomorrow...

CB, thank you for the contest, and the great prize package!!  All of the cards were fantastic and much appreciated!

thanks for reading, Robert

4 comments:

  1. I am beating myself up for not entering this contest.

    My prediction for the newspaper on the results of this game: Ravens 34, 49ers 30.

    I was off by one point.

    Arggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, Colby.

    Can't take a good picture of that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it strange how most times the last card you need in a set is a common? For me, the last card I needed in the '86 set was card number 51, Bobby Wine. It took me forever to find that card.
    That is cool that you completed a set without ever buying a pack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than welcome Robert. And I'm always happy to help finish a set. And be thankful the Night Owl missed out!

    ReplyDelete