Saturday, February 2, 2013

Grubby Glove's cool project

I recently completed a great trade with Michael over at the Grubby Glove blog, and of course when I see a new blog, I have to dive in and get the gist of what the writer has to say.

This guy is hardcore.  When looking up his website today in order to provide everyone with a link, I came across Michael's most recent post, dated February 1st.  It seems that Michael is in the process of trying to give a 50th anniversary stamped card back to a former MLB player, Lenny Green of the Minnesota Twins.

That folks, is a fantastic idea.  That alone will have me checking his blog regularly in order to find out how he is fairing.

As far as the trade front goes, I received a great lot of cards from Michael in return for a bunch of 2010 Topps inserts that he wanted.   I figured the best way to treat this lot that is now in my possession was in the form of a 5-4-3-2-1 countdown.    Here we go....

Let's start with a sticking point of mine a couple of months back.  The 2012 Heritage High Numbers set.  Michael sent me all the Blue Jays...

Colby, come on man, it ain't that bad!!

Michael is in tune with what is going on here at the habit, because he sent me 4 1975 Topps cards..


Chris Chambliss was a Blue Jay for a short time, but never appeared in a uniform.  The Jays acquired him from the Yankees in the off season of 1979 as part of the Rick Cerone trade.  5 weeks later, Chris was on his way to Atlanta in a deal that brought the Jays Barry Bonnell and Joey McLaughlin. 

Next up, 3 players whose names I try to avoid spelling as often as possible...


Rzepczynski's nickname is appropriately  "Scrabble"

I love purple bordered cards, and one of the two Tony Fernandez cards you see here is a good example of why.


Yes, I know it is a card from the '88 Score set, but I think the purple border works, on just about any card. 

Finally, we have the greatest Jays player to ever wear the #30....Todd Stottlemyre..


Michael, thank you very much for the trade!!  The cards are very much appreciated.  Best of luck with getting that card to Lenny Green as well, I'm looking forward to how that will turn out.

Thanks for reading, Robert

2 comments:

  1. Who cares what you gave away, you made out like a bandit with a pile of beautiful cards! ; ) Great trade, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Robert, I'm knocked out reading what you wrote about me. Thank you! It's an honor when another baseball blogger, fan and card collector calls me hard core. I am truly blown away.

    I'm thrilled with the cards you sent me, too! My numerous insert sets are nearing completion, thanks to wonderful traders like yourself. I feel like our trade gave us cards for our collections as well as the satisfaction of knowing that we were helping each other out. Win ~ win combinations like that don't happen every day, that's for sure.

    I'll continue to document the challenge of getting the Lenny Green card back to him.

    Thank you again for your high praise, Robert. I look forward to reading your blog and conducting another trade down the line.

    Kindest Regards,
    Michael Jawitz
    AKA: Grubby Glove

    ReplyDelete