Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Spirit of '76/'77

I've had the title for this post in my head for several weeks.  Originally, it was going to be a post specifically about the cards that Dave from the Wax Stain Rookie blog sent me a while back, cards from the 76-77 OPC set that I still can't get enough of.

Then, as time elapsed and my desire to add a little more substance to the post increased, I decided I was going to add the '77 Topps cards that I had picked up a couple of weeks ago at the card show to the post.

The Spirit of '76/'77 today became a little more evident to me.  The Spirit of '76/'77 is something I want, badly.

I want the hands of time to go back 35 years.  I want the sports world to rewind back to those days, when things were a lot simpler.

There were no such phrases as "strike", "lockout" or "season cancelled" in the world of pro sports.  If there were, I sure had no idea.

I am an ardent sports fan, I've loved sports ever since I was a wee lad.  But now, with today's NHL announcement, I really am starting to long for the days when sports was a lot simpler.

Honestly, I really should have come up with a post celebrating the Kung Fu Panda's 3 home runs in Game 1 of the World Series.



But I can't, because to me it doesn't compare to Reggie in '77.


Everyone can talk all they want about the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament and how great the finish was. 






To me, it will never compare to the '76 Canada Cup:




I'd rather look at cards of players from the Big Red Machine,


Than read about teams that are swimming in a sea of red ink...


hey, it can't be all doom and gloom...

Yes, after writing all this I do realize that this is just another rant about modern day sports.

I guess I'm just tired of having to hear about postponements, cancellations, and all the b.s. that comes with all the money that pro sports generates in this day and age. 

It's only 4 more days until No-hockey-vember.  I can't wait.

Can you tell I'm bitter?

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Its devastating, man.

    I bought a blaster of 12-13 Artifacts last night. Yet I won't even be able to watch the game until '13 it seems.

    I do, however, have season-ticket connections for The Bolts' AHL affiliate. Which, in comparison, sucks.

    I'm bitter, too, man. We all are. The players are. We'll get hockey back, eventually.

    ReplyDelete