Friday, May 4, 2012

A blue bordered card that's not a parallel

I found this beauty of a card when rummaging through my hockey boxes a couple weeks back, and it took me back to a time where I was not finding a whole lot of hockey cards where I lived (I had just moved to the states).

This may be the last year that I actually bought a Topps hockey card product.  It was the 2001-02 Topps base set, and the card is # 156, Shane Doan of the Phoenix Coyotes.

 Been a while since the Yotes sported these unis.

The Topps set from '01-02 was a 330 card set, with no really big rookie cards to speak of.  The 30 card exchange/extended set (#'d 331-360)  featured top rookies such as Ilya Kovalchuk and Pavel Datsyuk.

Doan is the last member of the current Coyotes squad that was actually on the Winnipeg Jets squad when they moved to Phoenix for the 96-97 NHL season.  Yes, Doan is still kicking it with the Coyotes in 2012.  After 16 seasons and almost 1200 games, finally Shane is playing in the 2nd round of the playoffs.  I can only imagine how tough that had to have been on him.  As of this writing, the Coyotes are up 2-1 on Nashville, and I'm hoping that they advance and give this guy a Stanley Cup run that he really deserves.  Anybody that has been as loyal as Doan has been to a team that has been kept afloat with NHL grants and concessions made by the taxpayers of the city they play in deserves to have a shot at a Cup.

What will the NHL do with the Coyotes if they do win the Cup?  Might be the first franchise in sports history that has won a championship without a principal owner in place...or even move to a different city when the season is done.  Wouldn't that be a black mark on the league?

Only time will tell...

Thanks for reading, Robert


No comments:

Post a Comment